Bikes and National Express - A Dangerous Combination?

banana_man
banana_man Posts: 49
edited August 2007 in The bottom bracket
I'm doing the LEJoG in September and have decided that National Express coach is by far the easiest way to get back home from John O' Groats. However, the National Express website says "We kindly request that passengers do not bring non-folding bikes as luggage". Surely if the bike is packaged in a bike bag (obviously with the wheels and pedals removed), then there shouldn't be a problem, as it is only the size of a large suitcase and is well padded.

Has anyone tried to carry a bike on a National Express coach and can anyone recommend any good, cheap bike bags? Is it worth just booking it and trying to blag my way when I get there, because the alternative transport options don't look too appealing. Thanks.

Comments

• nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Well if it's in a hard case, then it is just another suitcase and you need never tell them, they start at about £75 I think.

I imagine when they refer to bikes they mean complete bikes all set up and everything where people expect national express to fit them in the luggage hold.

Phone them and check what their policy is on bikes in a suitcase- should be fine.

Good luck with LeJog!

How long are you going to take over it?
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Despite the uncomfortable timings for a decent journey out of Thurso or Wick I would rather get the train. You could probably get away without booking a space as well
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    My bike bg is much bigger than any suitcase I've ever had. Plus its a bugger to take - its massive even when empty.