computer with cadence and gradient

inaperfectworld
inaperfectworld Posts: 219
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
i was looking at a vdo computer (~£70) with height and gradients and loads of other things but amongst all of these there is no cadence; it's because of gradients that i like cadence as varying gradients break your rhythm,; and i like the idea of gradient/ height measurements when i am touring.
i don't feel i need a heart rate monitor and nothing much else beyong av speed, max speed (so i don't come off at 30 mph looking at the computer instead of the road) and distance; also wired as i read too many probnlems of wireless. is there anything to fit these requirements?

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Have a look at the Trek Incite ACH. Altitude, gradient & cadence.
    Rich
  • herbie12
    herbie12 Posts: 41
    manick0de wrote:
    Gamin Edge 305.

Pricey though!

But very, very good!

I haven't really scratched the surface of what it can do yet and I'm already very impressed!
  • robklancs
    robklancs Posts: 498
    i got my garmin edge 205 for less than 80 quid, think the 305 was bout 120, the wonders of ebay!, brand new, no problems, have a look!
  • The Garmin Edge models measure speed from the GPS too?

Does that give a good, acurate response like a wheel mounted sensor? I'm imagining it only taking readings every few seconds.... but maybe things have moved on?
  • XTCRider
    XTCRider Posts: 113
    Theres a boardman one in Bikehut (£40 I think) does gradients and plots a graph of climbs as well as the normal stuff . Wireless though
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtcrider/sets/72057594126938720/

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike, I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride it where I like
  • herbie12
    The Garmin Edge models measure speed from the GPS too?

Does that give a good, acurate response like a wheel mounted sensor? I'm imagining it only taking readings every few seconds.... but maybe things have moved on?

If you've got the 'Cadence Sensor' then the Edge uses that to measure your speed. If you're not using the Cadence then it runs from GPS. Can't comment on how accurate it is, but if you look over at the MotionBased forum I'm sure it would have been covered. Mapping the route I took the other day back over Google Maps, it placed me bang on the road for most of the way, so I'm guessing it's reasonably accurate.
  • Chris5150
    Chris5150 Posts: 107
    Another Vote for the edge 305...love it, I think its very accurate at measuring speed & distance, never had any problems. I have mine linked for heartrate & cadence too...great piece of kit...nice & simple to setup too and good life rechargeable battery
  • richa
    Herbie12 wrote:
    The Garmin Edge models measure speed from the GPS too?

If you've got the 'Cadence Sensor' then the Edge uses that to measure your speed. If you're not using the Cadence then it runs from GPS.
    I believe for some reason the 'Cadence Sensor' only measures speed when the GPS if off (i.e. on a Turbo). But don't worry the gps seems to be pretty accurate. I have this and a conventional bike comp and there is little difference.
    Rich
  • Chris5150
    Dont know what you mean by that Rich,mine 305 measures Cadence with the GPS on too...My screen on the bike shows speed, distance, time of ride, cadence, heart rate, elevation and gradient, time of day
  • richa
    Chris5150 wrote:
    Dont know what you mean by that Rich,mine 305 measures Cadence with the GPS on too...My screen on the bike shows speed, distance, time of ride, cadence, heart rate, elevation and gradient, time of day
    Yes, the sensor measures cadence but not speed (which is got from the gps).
    Rich
  • Chris5150
    Sorry Rich I Understand what you mean now. Didnt realise that the Cadence sensor could also measure speed if the GPS is off
  • herbie12
    There's a whole thread about it here

You can force the Edge to use the CAD unit over GPS in the settings, but the default setting is Auto, which appears to use the GPS when available and the CAD when the signal's too weak. Makes sense I suppose as the CAD unit is an optional extra with the 305HR.

My mistake...