Bike thieves: what can be done?

I hate bike thieves
edited August 2007 in The Crudcatcher
Not for the first time I had my bike stolen this week. The next day I found someone selling it online. So - as an interested punter - I arranged to meet the guy the next day. As I half expected he didn't show; he probably sold it to someone who could meet him earlier. Now a quick google of the mobile phone number in the ad reveals multiple bike adverts placed online with different contact names.

In general the Police have a hard enough job with all the scumbags in the world these days so they don't seem too fussed about someone nicking a few bikes... Anyone know of a specific police unit for bike theft in London that I can forward this to?

Short of this I am tempted to keep an eye out for future ads and then round up a few mates to instill some morals in the guy. I know there are probably thousands of bike thieves in London, but if we keep letting them get away with it they'll keep doing it.

Comments

• Well where was the bike when it stolen?

Lock? Shed?

Honestly feel sorry for you mate. I tend to avoid the stolen bike section as it makes hard reading lol. Also a fair amount of GT Chucker's have been stolen :shock: :?

As for the police. I dont know tbh. I cant imagine they'd investigate a bike theft as in depth as say, a tv stolen from a house. God knows why :?
    Short of this I am tempted to keep an eye out for future ads and then round up a few mates to instill some morals in the guy. I know there are probably thousands of bike thieves in London, but if we keep letting them get away with it they'll keep doing it.

Defenitly! Dont give up on finding it. Even post adds or something advertising your bike and that it was stolen. If the theif has sold it on, the buyer probably had no idea its stolen. And if he/she was to see a stolen ad for the bike there riding, anyone decent person would get in touch with you. Good luck.
  • Blundell
    Blundell Posts: 308
    Cut his hands off then sell 'em back to him!

or is that abit over the top?
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    about 8months ago my cousin got a bike stole from his shed, so he went on ebay and round all the local papers and put in a wanted for a orange patriot and 2 days later got a call about of some scum describing his bike, so he met up with the guy ,also took 5 of his mates with him dont think it took long to get the bike back of him :lol: . worth a try if anyone is in the same situation now.
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    Blundell wrote:
    Cut his hands off then sell 'em back to him!

or is that abit over the top?

Depends how much you sell them to him for.
    i ride a hardtail
  • genus
    genus Posts: 43
    You should have shot the burglar, the police would have been interested then as they would have got media time.

We haven't actually got a police force in this country anymore, don't know if you were aware of this but if you need any legal backup, best call Interpol these days.