Cold starts

Gambatte
Gambatte Posts: 1,453
edited August 2007 in Commuting chat
The wet wet wet thread by Rufusa got me thinking again about this one.

He kind of partly beat me to it. A couple of weeks back I was building up the days I cycle to work. Now the weathers turned (again) and its in reverse. I get up, look outside and its wet, windy, overcast, miserable. Pop on the telly, 25mph winds. Maybe I’m nesh, but, when looking at a 15mile trip, the car starts looking more than tempting.

Now the plan is to keep a level of commuting up thro the winter, so this doesn’t bode well. So questions are:

Clothing
Currently I’m in ¾ mtb shorts and a short sleeve cycling top. Jogging (Ronhill) reflective waterproof jacket in the back pack.
As it gets colder what sort of clothing is advisable?

Physical ability
At present the cycling itself isn’t too difficult, just under an hour each way. Obviously I don’t know how these 25mph winds would affect that.
The problem I am developing is with the step. You know that first one that gets you out of the door first thing on a cold morning.

Any advice?

Comments

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    It's always hard to take that first step outside the door. All you have to remember is how much fun it is when you get going.
  • mazcp
    mazcp Posts: 953
    When it's 'kin freezin I wear a base layer or my dhb bib tights under my normal gear (cycling shirt/baggy shorts). Also, winter gloves, of course.

You'll be surprised how quickly you heat up after that initial shock to the system on a frosty morning.

Being nesh can be a good thing...if the weather's bad enough, take the car/bus etc. There's been a few times where I've turned the bike round to go back home after only a couple of minutes in dense fog. Better safe than sorry.

Is it winter already?!
  • Gambatte
    Is it winter already?!

Felt like it this morning.....

Guess with it being the end of August already, I've given up on anything like a summer appearing. Just watch, we'll probably get glorious sunshine from mid September thro to December?

No? :(
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Have to say theres been a few nippy mornings latelly when if I hadnt have sold the car I would have been tempted to use it, of course as normal it was fine half a mile down the road.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    I'm just coming out of Winter here in Melbourne, but it's still nice and crisp some mornings (2 deg celsius).

I agree with the above posts - it's not the conditions I'm concerned about, it's your safety. Wild winds with rain or fog do not bode well for survival on a bike.

First thing is I go full gloves. I hate waterproof jackets for cycling and although I have a few at my disposal, I rarely bother with them. Instead, I go the merino base layer, as well as a thin merino skullcap under the helmet. These two things make all of the difference. I generally wear baggies, with an inbuilt chamois, so if it's really bad I'll also wear my leg warmers (I have those for when I'm out on the roadie). Seeing how you have 3/4, you'll be keeping your knees warm and that's the most important thing.

The next step up is a vest of some sort. I'd love a gillet/wind vest, but instead I use a standard old fleece vest. Does the job for me.

As the others said, it's surprising how quickly those first few minutes pass and then you're toasty warm cruising along. Unless you get hot - it's a fine juggling act sometimes, but with practice, you can get it down to a fine art. Just watch out for the bargain bins and buy yr Winter gear in Summer.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    I wear arm warmers. feel a bit chilly at the start but Ok about 5mins in. I tend to got sooooo hot if i wear a jacket. I need to get some leg warmers too I think. like you say it take's a bit of will power to get the bike out when it's wet and/or windy..

just force yuorself, I tell myself that I will need to walk longer than I will ride as the car park I use is not at the office...so it's still better to ride..
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • Arm and leg warmers make such a difference to my willingness to step outside on a grotty day, its something to do with not having my skin bare to the elements, even though I will still be cold (until I warm up from cycling).
    Sweat saves blood.
    Erwin Rommel
  • Gambatte
    Not just a long sleeve jersey then?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've never done much winter cycling. But my experience from playing rugby is just adding a nike pro long sleeve shirt under the jersey. It must be ok for cycling aswell as my friend who's really into the road racing stuff does his winter training with just an extra nike pro.

I'm going to give it a go once the temperature drops.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • BentMikey
    Armwarmers at 2 degrees? I must be such a wuss then, because I'll have on at least a l/s base layer, l/s jersey, and normally a jacket as well. I don't like the cold very much.
  • Gambatte
    Well after yesterdays whingy post, I did get out today. Once I get away from the house theres no going back (I lock the door and post the keys!)

Still windy (the weather :) ) but thought rather than making it a race or pushing it, I’d take it easy and enjoy the ride.

Did just that, and it only made about 2-3 mins difference to the total ride time.
  • Arm warmers, and leg warmers with Gore gilet + gloves + overshoes do me from about 5degrees down to 2degrees.

Below 2 degrees I whip out the Endura l/s base layer to replace the arm warmers, rest of the kit stays the same.

Regrettably I've never cycled in real cold, only what the British winter can throw down here in the south, which is pretty mild really. I may get the chance to do some proper winter cycling if I go and visit family friends in Colorado this Christmas, but that trip is subject to a lot of 'if's' at the mo.
    Sweat saves blood.
    Erwin Rommel
  • BentMikey
    My blood is much thinner than yours, I'm an African.
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    Gambatte

With regard to your query about 'developing the step', I find that coming into the office and banging on to anyone who will listen about fairweather cyclists puts sufficient pressure on me that I would have to get out there on the bike even if a tornado were trailing my exact route.

Not sure if that's needless pressure but it certainly makes a difference in the back of my mind when I look out of the window at 7.15am and see trees bending over sideways and rain flowing down the glass.

And to be fair, they've all got me down as 'hardcore' already which was instrumental in me securing one of our new garage parking spots for my bike.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    when the wind is blowing it helps you in places and hinders in others

I think it's gore who do a long sleeve jersey that the arms can be zipped off leaving you with a short sleeve... very handy for this type of weather

As the others have said once you're going you don't notice it... until it gets proper cold and you need to wear all your clothes

Beards are a wonderful chin warmer :D
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • BentMikey wrote:
    My blood is much thinner than yours, I'm an African.

:D yep I've defo got you there Mikey, I'm a mixture of Norwegian and Bavarian blood
    Sweat saves blood.
    Erwin Rommel
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    edited August 2007
    As above, arm and leg warmers this time of year are ideal since you can take them off as you warm up. I made the mistake of wearing my Rapha winter jersey on its own on Tuesday and about half way (15 miles) I definitely found it too warm :roll:

(If you tuck your leg warmers under your shorts they don't slip down after 5 mins)

A gilet is also a very good investment - I'm very happy with my Gore Xenon but there are loads of similar ones on the market.

If you have the cash, over the knee shorts are great this time of year as well (good in Spring too).

Later, the whole game changes and for a commute of 1-2 hours, in my books you basically have 3 choices: 1 Get cold, wet and uncomfortable 2 Take the train/car/bus 3 Shell out on some decent winter kit.

Edit: HH long-sleeved undershirt works well but Merino really is the biz
  • Keithp88
    Keithp88 Posts: 58
    I cycled in all through winter for the first time last year. It was, fortunately quite a mild one I think and if memory serves me right (that'll be a first) reasonably dry. I still wore those cycling tights with the lining in, long sleeve t-shirt under a jacket, a buff neck/headwarmer (cos you can wear it over your ears and under your helmet), moto-x gloves with some fleece ones over the top and overshoes. The only thing that got cold were my feet. The great thing about layering though is you can take it off if you over heat, this was never an issue.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Clever Pun wrote:

Unless you re unlucky and you have a near straight out and back commute......

I'm hardcore (and fat) with welsh blood and i can handle normal shorts with helly thermal legs and a winter jersey (a 20 squids polaris one that was absoloutly stunning) if its colder than that i put a base layer on under that, then am toasty

I like the wind chill quite alot (to a point) so rarely wear a jacket if its dry

and you re psot on with the beard!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • wai
    wai Posts: 36
    I foolishly chose yesturday to do my first round trip commute, 19 miles each way (Kilburn - Gerrards Cross along A40).

The rain wasn't as bad as the wind for sure. Was very glad for the sheltered parts of the route. Fairly tired when I arrived at work and came home absolutely knackered.

Now if only the sunny weather would come back!

Having been on a couple of walking holidays, I think I'm pretty sorted for kit. I buy all my Icebreaker kit from http://www.outdoorsports.co.nz
    Cheaper than buying it from the UK and I've yet to be hit by customs. I love my Icebreaker gear!
  • Well done. It gets easier, except for the odd day when it really feels like hard work. Usually when against the wind.

Along an A road sounds a bit grim, though. Worth exploring the map to find a more pleasant alternative - there usually is one.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    ddraver wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

well one way is good one way is bad... I actually prefer the way home to be wind assisted I think (like I have the choice)

must be that welshness mucking with your brain :wink:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Gambatte
    mazcp wrote:
    When it's 'kin freezin I wear a base layer or my dhb bib tights under my normal gear (cycling shirt/baggy shorts). Also, winter gloves, of course.

I was looking to get some 3/4 bib shorts

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... b%20Tights

Till I read the sizing.

Unfortunately medium fits as to height and chest, waist wise I reckon its large.... Sad

Damn that middle age spread!
  • ddraver
    Clever Pun wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

well one way is good one way is bad... I actually prefer the way home to be wind assisted I think (like I have the choice)

must be that welshness mucking with your brain :wink:

Unbless the wind blows across the route - then its bad either way...curse those damn aerodynamics
    - @ddraver
  • Flycatcher
    Flycatcher Posts: 185
    I wear jacket, base layer and cycling shirt in winter.

But still wear shorts. My legs don't get cold but my fingers and toes do. Anyone use heated gloves or socks? I've seen some heated gloves on the internet but they look a bit bulky for cycling.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Gambatte wrote:
    mazcp wrote:

I was looking to get some 3/4 bib shorts

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... b%20Tights

Till I read the sizing.

Unfortunately medium fits as to height and chest, waist wise I reckon its large.... Sad

Damn that middle age spread!

I faced the same dilemma. I got medium, and found the lycra stretches just fine.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • ddraver
    They ll stretch.......
    - @ddraver
  • Gambatte
    Currently in 3/4 baggies.

Just wondering what reaction I'd get first thing in the am, walking through the factory to clock in, wearing lycra shorts/tights.....
  • Went through all last winter wearing ron hills on the coldest days and just layering up on the top half as required.

I bought a waterproof top for about a tenner that had velcro front tabs and vents.

The worst bit was heavy rain- and having to put on sopping kit to go home in. Was thinking of keeping spare kit at work to use when necessary, but worried it'd make me soften up too much.
  • Gambatte
    Finally remembered a couple of pairs of Ronhill (Tracksters?) I've got in the cupboard, from a dalliance with jogging.

Dragged them out and they seem to fit, if a bit lower on the hip than I remember. Maybe I'm getting older and starting to think waistbands should be higher?

Best have a look for padded undershorts and long backed tops then?