First 10 Mile TT

Richie G
Richie G Posts: 283
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
After getting some great advice from people on here, i had a go at my first 10 mile TT last night. I see what people mean when say it hurts! I was getting pretty ragged in the last couple of miles! Really glad i had a go- hoping to do few more before the end of season. Think i might be addicted already! I definately need to improve my position though- as i tired i found it hard to stay on the drops, need to practice i guess. Thanks to Ashley_R for inviting me, everyone there was really helpful.

Rich

Comments

• what time did you do?
  • Richie G
    27:28. Much better than i expected- was hoping to squeak inside half an hour!
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    Well done, good time for your first run, especially with the headwind on the way out!

Pity it was the last of the season there, roll on next summer (hopefully!)
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • Richie G
    Certainly was breezy! Didn't feel like much of a tailwind on the way back though! How did you do by the way?
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Rich, brilliant! Well done! If that was on the Six Hills course, than that's a great time for a first attempt - it's not the easiest of courses to ride. And no wonder you found it hard on the way back - it's mostly uphill!

Ruth
    www.rutheyles.co.uk/
  • Richie G
    Yes it was the Six Hills course. Still buzzing to be honest- just hoping i can find a couple more before the end of the season. Any idea if there are any local ones left? I'm now a member of Loughborough Road Club, so that's not a problem now! I've never ridden that kind of intensity for so long, so hoping i can get better. The guys gave me lots of tips; i think the main thing is my position- spend most the last 3-4 miles on the hoods. Might have to look at some aero bars.
  • BeaconRuth
    Richie G wrote:
    Any idea if there are any local ones left?
    I've done a quick scan of the handbook and these look the most local events remaining in your area:

15th Sept CDLCA 10 on the A10/14A (Long Bennington-Grantham)
    16th Sept Sherwood CC 25, A25/2 (Granby)
    22nd Sept Ratae RC 25, A25/20 (?)
    30th Sept Team Midland 10, K26/10M (Meriden)

That last one is not in your district but it's not too far away, just down the M69 and along the M6 a bit and I know it's a good event. To ride any of these you have to enter at least 2 weeks in advance on a CTT entry form, which you can get from the CTT website. I can tell you the address to send it to and the entry fee - no point in you getting your own handbook at this stage of the season. For all open events you're sent a formal start sheet in advance, with full details of the HQ and course.

Ruth
    www.rutheyles.co.uk/
  • Richie G
    Thanks for looking those up. I'm away for the first 2, but would be great if you have details for the later 2. A 25 miler sounds tough- i guess you just have to pace yourself!
  • BeaconRuth
    I'll PM you the details.

Ruth
    www.rutheyles.co.uk/
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    Richie G wrote:
    Certainly was breezy! Didn't feel like much of a tailwind on the way back though! How did you do by the way?

Ended up 24:33, not too bad considering the wind, took an age to get to the turn, was using a higher gear back uphill than on the way down, lovely tailwind at last :P !
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • Big Tcp
    Big Tcp Posts: 163
    edited August 2007
    Some of the local clubs might have some weekend club events that you can ride. check out:

www.sherwoodcc.org.uk (Sherwood CC)
    www.mocc.co.uk (Melton Olympic)
    www.vclongeaton.com (Velo Club Long Eaton)
    www.derbymercury.org.uk (Derby Mercury)
    www.nottinghamclarion.co.uk (Nottm Clarion CC)
  • Richie G
    That sounds good going to me! Nice bike by the way!
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Well done that man, my first was 29.30 , second was 28.30 the third was 22.20 but that was on rollers so it doesn't count. they were also a couple of years ago so I suppose it's about time I did another. help ! I know it's going to hurt.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace