Lights for the Road

Chris5150
Chris5150 Posts: 107
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
I am keen to keep cycling through the dark winter months so am currently investiagting light systems. Last year I used a light & motion Arc light on my mountain bike ( it was mainly off road use ) which was brilliant at illuminating the tracks etc.
This year I intend to continue road cycling on A roads gnerally,obviously I need good illumination when pedalling at 20 mph + etc, but I also need to consider oncoming cars. I feel the Arc light is too bright & dazzling for full road use, so have been looking at the lumicycle ones. Anyone got recommendations/experience for lights on the road?

Comments

• mossycp
    mossycp Posts: 233
    Lumicycle. Briliant. Simple as that.

I use a Lumicycle twin halogen setup for the road - 1 x 12W spot and 1 x 1W LED with glow ring. With a Li-Ion Pro battery this easily lasts a weeks commuting (about 2.5 hours I think). The beauty of the Lumi system is that I can swap the LED for a 20W flood and use it off road. The system is so versatile that you can just swap and change things as you like. Lumicycle are also renowned for their service and support
    Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way {Dr Seus}
  • Chris5150
    Chris5150 Posts: 107
    Cheers Mossy, that'll do me, already mooched on their website & it all looks good stuff, shall get some bought.
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    £20 & for that price you can`t go wrong! :Dhttp://www.rutlandcycling.com/ProductDe ... 466e9ad19c
    I`ve got one myself as has a workmate & are very impressed!
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    BigLee1 wrote:
    £20 & for that price you can`t go wrong! :Dhttp://www.rutlandcycling.com/ProductDe ... 466e9ad19c

sorry to "jump in" on this, but thanks for posting that link Biglee1, i've just ordered one, looks like a bit of a bargain to me!

Cheers

chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I use a Electron 10w + 5w, if I remember back to last winter, you get 3 hours from a full charge. They make such a difference after years of using cheap flashing LEDs.
  • BigLee1
    Panter wrote:
    BigLee1 wrote:

sorry to "jump in" on this, but thanks for posting that link Biglee1, i've just ordered one, looks like a bit of a bargain to me!

Cheers

chris :)

No probs Chris :D
    My mate was looking at getting a new battery for his current lights & it was £24 so £20 for this was a no brainer!
    I bought a cateye light that uses 4x AA batteries for £20 before this deal was out so it is a bargain, I`ll be trying mine out tonight at 10.30 on the way ome from work.

Lee
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Light brightness isnt really the issue if you're concerned about dazzling oncoming motorists/cyclists, it's more to do with the the angle of the beam. A headtorch might dazzle no matter how you angle it, because it's so high up, but a lamp mounted to the fork or even handlebar shouldn't dazzle if it's angled slightly downwards at the road. On unlit roads you may need to re-angle the beam slightly more upward to give a longer reaching beam, but I still dont think it would dazzle oncoming motorists unless the beam is actually pointing upwards, in which case it'll be no good for seeing by anyway.
  • BigLee1
    Well the £20 special performed, pardon the pun, brilliantly! I could actually see where I was going with a good spread of light. I`d be surprised if these £100+ ones are 5x or more better.

Lee
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    BigLee1 wrote:
    Well the £20 special performed, pardon the pun, brilliantly! I could actually see where I was going with a good spread of light. I`d be surprised if these £100+ ones are 5x or more better.

Lee

actually It really depends on where your cycling and how much ambient light you have and what kind of speed you wanna travel at ! I`ve just switched from a 15W halogen much like your recent purchase to something somewhat brighter.Its night and day but horses for courses. Now if in a town or city thats another matter !
  • BigLee1
    Of a journey consisting of 17.5 miles I would say 5 of those were in total darkness with no street lights or houses etc. Av speed 18mph
    But for £20 it`s great!! I passed another cyclist with just a LED front light, he thought it was a motorcycle light catching him, albeit slower & a lot quieter :lol:
  • I got an infini Contrail from chainreaction....£20 and is very very good considering the price/size.

Two of these would be sufucient for country winter riding, one in the city.