Schrader vs Presta

Shadowduck
Shadowduck Posts: 845
edited August 2007 in Commuting chat
I've noticed in bike shops (real and online) that there seems to be a much wider range of inner tubes on offer with Presta valves than Schrader - to the extent that I recently had to try a few different options before I could get hold of a Schrader tube to fit my 700 x 30 tyres.

I'm under the impression that Presta valves are more fiddly to use than Schrader and more susceptible to damage, quite apart from the fact they can't, in an emergency, be inflated using pumps intended for cars.

So can anybody explain to me why Presta valves are (apparently) so popular? Or indeed, why they exist at all?
Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.

Comments

• Lighter.
    Able to accept higher pressure for their weight.
    Pump heads are more reliable.
    More easily extendible to go through deep rims.
    Lighter.
    No less reliable.
    Better able to cope with getting muddy and wet.
    Did I say lighter? :roll:

How about that for some reasons?
    Sweat saves blood.
    Erwin Rommel
  • Pagem
    Pagem Posts: 244
    Shadowduck wrote:
    in an emergency, be inflated using pumps intended for cars.

don't think i've ever had an emergency like this... do you often flat next to petrol stations with a spare tube and no pump?

i like them because they're lighter :lol:
    Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i carry a £1.60 gadget i got off ebay that converts my presta to schrader so that if i do flat and cant get good enough pressure in my tube from my hand pump i can stop at a garage and get my air that way. Its all good
  • mazcp
    mazcp Posts: 953
    I use Presta...it's easier to pronounce.
  • Shadowduck
    Pagem wrote:
    Shadowduck wrote:
    in an emergency, be inflated using pumps intended for cars.

don't think i've ever had an emergency like this... do you often flat next to petrol stations with a spare tube and no pump?

i like them because they're lighter :lol:
    No, but I have flatted twice in the same day - used the spare tube and CO2 cartridge for the first then the patch kit and a kindly motorist's foot pump for the second. :P

Consensus of opinion seems to be that it's a weight thing. I know about the exaggerated effect of rotating mass, but is the difference really significant? Has anybody switched from one to the other and got a noticeable difference?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just struggling to see the point of worrying about the odd gram for those of us not riding £2000 carbon fibre bikes.
  • dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    I've never inflated my tyres at a petrol station.
    Is it easy to do on their pumps if you have the adapter? And are their gauges very accurate at 120 psi considering most car tyres are 25-35 psi? Or is it something only to be tried during an emergency.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    dazzawazza i dont know and i dont want to find out! Almost did the other day but my adapter hadnt arrived yet
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    My rims dictate I use presta valves but I see no reason why I wouldn't want to anyway. The adaptor was 49p from the bike shop and I've never used it.
  • Shadowduck
    dazzawazza wrote:
    Is it easy to do on their pumps if you have the adapter? And are their gauges very accurate at 120 psi considering most car tyres are 25-35 psi? Or is it something only to be tried during an emergency.
    I've never tried a forecourt pump myself but I have used car foot pumps more than once - you haven't a prayer of getting 120psi but you can squeeze enough in there to get you home.
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    Adapter came free with my track pump. Sits nicely in the change pocket in the wedge bag
  • mtb.boy
    mtb.boy Posts: 208
    I always found that schrader valves on my old bikes used to dissappear into the rim when trying to attach the pump when the tyre was a bit flat.

The presta ones have a metal screw bit which stops them moving into the rim. Which I prefer. Much easier attaching a pump to somthing that is not moving about.
    The first rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is.

The second rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is !!!!
  • dazzawazza wrote:

I have. It was forty years ago, but I still remember the bangs, as the two tyres exploded a few yards down the street from the petrol station

Jeremy Parker
  • mbukfan
    mbukfan Posts: 3,052
    I haven't noticed the difference in weight while cycling

also the whole pressure thing seems a bit odd when you condsider that the air forks/shocks will normally use much higher pressures then your tyres yet still use schrader valves.
    They are much much easier to clamp onto when you've got a flat though
    <center>
    <font size="1"><font color="green">Only the truth hurts, but thats more than enough.</font id="green"> </font id="size1">
    <font size="2"> Andy</font id="size2">
    </center>
  • smiorgan
    smiorgan Posts: 195
    teh internets knows all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrader_valve

"Presta vs Schrader

As is true for a Presta valve, pressure inside a Schrader valve will hold the valve shut, but because the Schrader valve has a spring, it closes and stays closed even without pressure. Another difference is that the size of Schrader valve used for bicycle tires has a greater diameter than the Presta valve. The spring makes the Schrader valve better than the Presta valve for low pressure tires, but the larger diameter hole it requires can weaken the wheel rim. For this reason, Schrader valves are more common on mountain bikes--which have wider tires with lower pressure--than on other types of bicycles, particularly racing bicycles (which have narrow rims and tires and higher pressure).

A rim drilled for Presta valves may be converted to accept Schrader valves, by drilling it out with a 21/64" drill bit but care must be taken to carefully de-burr the resulting hole to prevent damage to the tire and inner tube."
  • Shadowduck
    smiorgan wrote:
    The spring makes the Schrader valve better than the Presta valve for low pressure tires, but the larger diameter hole it requires can weaken the wheel rim. For this reason, Schrader valves are more common on mountain bikes--which have wider tires with lower pressure--than on other types of bicycles, particularly racing bicycles (which have narrow rims and tires and higher pressure).
    Now that sounds like a good explanation, thanks smiorgan. Your wiki searching powers are obviously greater then mine, I looked on there but completely missed that! :oops:
  • smiorgan
    smiorgan Posts: 195
    Maybe you were spelling it Schraeder :D