Rides around Chichester

steelo
steelo Posts: 542
edited August 2007 in MTB rides
Does anyone know any off-road biking routes around the Chichester area? I'm staying down on the coast in the Witterings for a week soon and would like to get out and do some riding while i'm down there. I'm not expecting any singletrack like Afan but some nice wooded trails would be good.

Cheers.
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    You're not too far off the South Downs and there's loads of riding to be had in the area. It isn't Wales, so don't expect Afan-type riding, though it has it's own unique aspects, downhills on wet chalk can be fun! Get yourself an OS map and head-out on the bridleways that criss-cross the area. The other option, if you're transport is to visit Queen Elizabeth Country Park, just north of Portsmouth off the A3. There are some way marked trails, but they are relatively short and again, not to the Afan-standard.
  • mangaman
    mangaman Posts: 704
    I would go from the Witterings into Chichester (via Dell Quay) - there's a new off road path - and then under the A27

Get to the Centurian Way which is a Sustrans path which takes you up into the Downs

These paths are obviously flat and full of peds / dogs / kids but are the easiest way from the Witterings to the Downs

When you get there at the end of the Centurian Way there are loads of trails

I would head towards Kingley Vale near West Stoke

As gregsd says don't expect mountains but there's some decent riding
  • I second the suggestion about Kingley Vale ...as for there not being any mountains thats true but there are some very substantial climbs around... some great woodland riding through the forests around Singleton and Charlton and for a real challenge ...cycle the South Downs way ..theres enough good riding around here to spend at least a week if not more doing some really challenging stuff....try climbing the Trundle ...Cocking Hill...Beacon Hill ..theres loads of it