IoW

steowen
steowen Posts: 59
edited August 2007 in Tour & expedition
Afternoon all.

I'm popping over to the Isle of White this bank holiday weekend and I'd love to do the 'cycle the island' route. I seem to remember it's easier in one direction and more difficult the other. Does anyone know which is which? I've a vague recollection that clockwise is the easier one?

Also, any suggestions on the best place to camp? I'd like somewhere near a pub showing football as I'm also a mad Evertonian (someone has to be) and would like to catch the live game against Blackburn.

Hope you can help
Cheers
All that glitters is probably glass

Comments

• melliff
    melliff Posts: 63
    steowen wrote:
    Afternoon all.

I'm popping over to the Isle of White this bank holiday weekend and I'd love to do the 'cycle the island' route. I seem to remember it's easier in one direction and more difficult the other. Does anyone know which is which? I've a vague recollection that clockwise is the easier one?

We did this a couple of years ago and did it clockwise from Yarmouth. I believe this is the easier way to do it.

Martin.
    Martin
  • mandie
    mandie Posts: 218
    We did it a couple of years ago in the clockwise direction from Ryde and my wife didn't whinge about me not being able to read the contours on a map and and threating divorce and/or murder for taking he up 20% hills, so I guess that we picked the easier direction.
    We\'ll kick against the darkness \'till it bleeds daylight
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    The Route is here http://www.cyclewight.org.uk/Randonee.htm

As for the "ease" it depends on where you start.

The hills on the south of the islands have more favourable gradients on the clockwise route, but if you start at Fishbourne, there is a real dting inthe tail as you climb at Cowes and Whippingham.

On the anti-clockwise route the final return to the ferry is easier.

So its swings and roundabouts, but the general feeling is that the "clockwise" is easie not easy, just easier!

Are you doing it in a day or two days?

The south of the island is a little remote when it comes to pubs with TV. The best bet is either the Sndown - Ventnor stretch of coast or at the other end Freshwater / Yarmouth.

Whatever - enjoy, it is a superb route with good views, superb cycling and friendly pubs!

How are you getting across?

Edited - Should have said that printed copies of this map are available at all the tourist information centres and bike shops.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • I did the route anti-clockwise with my dad when I was 12 in a day - and still have the certificate and badge to prove it. The other week i was clearing out his old bar bag and found the check point stamp sheet - that was from 15 years ago!!!! It's not that bad either way round.
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • steowen
    steowen Posts: 59
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

For the record we did the anti-clockwise route in a day - starting from Sandown. We felt like challenging ourselves, hence anti-clockwise, but with the beating sun and blustery wind it's fair to say it was more difficult than we imagined!

Enjoyed it though, will definitely be going back.
    All that glitters is probably glass
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    See you in May nest year?
    http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)