Helvellyn

DSA244
DSA244 Posts: 66
edited August 2007 in Routes
I'm planning to ride up to the Helvelly summit from Glenridding via Sticks pass then Lower Man. I the plan to return back to Sticks Pass, but then continue towards Great Dodd and descend over Matterdale Common.

Just wondered if anyone else has done this?? Whats it like?? Navigation any good??

Or does anyone recommend another route on Helvellyn

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DSA244
    Cheers for the link.

I have heard differing opinions on the descent via Grisedale Tarn, is it rideable??
  • chemdog
    chemdog Posts: 31
    Im planning on doing Helvellyn at some point in the not too distant future, havent done it before though.

Route I'm planning is Glenridding north to Dockray climb over Matterdale, Great Dodd, Stybarrow Dodd, Raise, White Side, Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike, Dollywagon, Grisedale tarn then back parallel to Grisedale Beck.

The thing that draws me to this route is it includes the descent to Grisedale tarn described as "a crazily rocky descent and a hard ride down the valley. Only pick this one if you're good".

When you thinking of doing it?

Iain
  • DSA244
    Probably either the end of the month of first week of sept. I'm currenntly under Drs orders to rest, but getting the nod is imminent (I hope).

Due to this my fitness is down, but it's worth the effort/pain.

The reason I put my route forward was I wasn't sure about the Grisedale tarn descent due to lack of riding this year and the Matterdale ride down is supposed to be good fun. I can't remember the site where I got my route, but supposedly the vast majority of it is rideable unlike some of Helvellyn.

The Lower Man descent looks crazy also!!

Click on Lower man http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/helmet_camera_video.html also check out the Matterdale descent on this link also

David
  • chemdog
    looks cracking!

As for navigation, I always find the GPS comes in handy even if only for grid references.

Let me know when you've got a date picked... isnt a bit of a serious route to start back on though?

Iain
  • DSA244
    When I come up I will be doing Dunnerdale and Grizedale Forrest first to warm up, only 6 weeks off the bike so hopefully I will survive. After that I will fit Helvellyn in. I'm also doing the High Street at some point as I love that route. I also have a route planned around Wast Water/Eskdale/Irton Fell which looks cool.. I just need time to fit them in.

I will let you know when I come up and it would be cool to hit the trails, feel free to join me on any of these.
  • chemdog
    DSA244 wrote:
    When I come up I will be doing Dunnerdale and Grizedale Forrest first to warm up, only 6 weeks off the bike so hopefully I will survive. After that I will fit Helvellyn in. I'm also doing the High Street at some point as I love that route. I also have a route planned around Wast Water/Eskdale/Irton Fell which looks cool.. I just need time to fit them in.

I will let you know when I come up and it would be cool to hit the trails, feel free to join me on any of these.

any or all muwaha...

is the wast water route, start in Boot, climb across top and decend to Wasdale Head, along the road next to Wast Water then up Irton and down through Miterdale forest. Thats my local decent route, I love the Miterdale descent... http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-5754283702107655406 (starts at 2mins 47 but the video is of that full loop)
  • DSA244
    That looks a great route!!! I hope that wasn't you falling in the water at the beginning of the video - very funny!!!!

Thats the exact route I have in my book, however, my book does it the opposite way round.

My guide book recommends your route the oppsite way due to the descent from the Tarn back in to Boot.

I read in a mag a while back that it is best to do it the way you give, I assume you think that is the better way also.

Too many routes, not enough time. If you fancy showing me the route let me know and we can fix a date.

Cheers
  • chemdog
    DSA244 wrote:
    That looks a great route!!! I hope that wasn't you falling in the water at the beginning of the video - very funny!!!!

Thats the exact route I have in my book, however, my book does it the opposite way round.

My guide book recommends your route the oppsite way due to the descent from the Tarn back in to Boot.

I read in a mag a while back that it is best to do it the way you give, I assume you think that is the better way also.

Too many routes, not enough time. If you fancy showing me the route let me know and we can fix a date.

Cheers

Nah, I was the camera man so I only had one spill on the descent to Wasdale.

Opposite way round is nonsense, the 2 best bits lost and to replace them you get a grassy very steep bank to descend thats hardly rideable - this is a carry on the better way round.

After the Miterdale forest descent I normally ride west and back up over the fell to descend the way you climb up which is another cracking descent, 3 cracking descents in one day, I cant wait! And yeah I'll show you round no probs. Am available most weekends so just pick a date.

Iain
  • DSA244
    Cheers, I appreciate that.

When I'm fit I will be straight up for about 2 weeks or so, I will let you know and try to fit it in when it's good for you.

Are you part of the Ridethelakes website, if so I will use the forum there as I'm a member.

Cheers
  • chemdog
    yeah I am, username Iain.
  • mr b0b
    mr b0b Posts: 27
    the grisedale tarn decent is amazing !, i would reconmend it to anyone. The biggest drops are about 2 foot, bigger if you go fstar, but yea amazing decent
  • chemdog
    surely theres not 2 foot drops are you talking about steep inclines rather than drops cause for me that just sounds a bit mental especially so far from the land of the safe and mountain rescue?!

Have you done the Nan Bield descent, how does it compare to that, or more like Gatescarth?

Iain
  • chemdog
    actually i could imagine it being more like the very top section of skiddaw , particular the last drop before the climb to the summit?
  • mr b0b
    mr b0b Posts: 27
    umm the only track ive done in the lakes that i could compare it with is the Walna Scar Road and the drops are kinda optional, u can go round them =). As with most tracks, how fast you go determines the amount skill you need (IMO).