Portable Pumps

allymillsy
allymillsy Posts: 30
edited August 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi

Can anyone recommend a small porable pump that can fit in a saddle bag on a bike or attach to the bike some way it won,t come off, would I be better to carry air canisters to blow the tyre up quickly, has anyone had experience of using these?

thanks for any advice you can give in advance

Comments

• Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    allymillsy wrote:
    would I be better to carry air canisters to blow the tyre up quickly, has anyone had experience of using these?

I'm intrested in the answer to this too :wink:
  • Big n Daft
    Big n Daft Posts: 418
    I prefer CO2 cylinders meself.

Doesn't make a lot of difference to be fair, CO2 is quicker and easier, but an inflater and a couple of canisters will rattle about a bit + weigh a touch more.

Problem is with little hand pumps, they can take an age to pump up a tyre, the volume of air delivered to the tyre is no where near that of a track pump. I'd use an inflater over a frame mounted pump any day of the week.

They are relatively easy to use, attach inflater head to valve, screw in canister, push in further to inflate, or pull trigger as the case may be!
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x42/ ... 3Small.jpg
  • anymore suggestions? is the slime inner tubes up to much, I picked one up in the shop the other day, very heavy.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I use a Topeak Master Blaster Peak DX mini-pump (was about £20 from Halfords) seems fine (only used it once). Not as easy obviously as a track pump but not too hard either. If you do buy a mini-pump make sure you try it before a ride so you're sure how it seals and if you have the right valve setting etc. When I tried mine for the first time it didn't seem to fit but I double checked online and it seems you need to push it on pretty hard as the smart valve adaptor thing needs a bit more effort than a standard flip-it-over adapter, glad I made sure before I was 20 miles from home and needed it :p
  • Pagem
    Pagem Posts: 244
    i carry co2. it's great when you need it and means you can travel minimally.

downside is that if you puncture more than twice (i carry 2 cannisters) and you're on your own then the game is over.

the other thing is it costs you a little more each time you flat as the cannisters are not free...
    Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.
  • Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    Pagem wrote:
    the other thing is it costs you a little more each time you flat as the cannisters are not free...
    The last lot of canisters I got were £12 for 10 off e-bay so the cost's not too horrendous. Worth it for the convenience and speed, I think!
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Pagem
    Pagem Posts: 244
    Shadowduck wrote:
    Pagem wrote:
    The last lot of canisters I got were £12 for 10 off e-bay so the cost's not too horrendous. Worth it for the convenience and speed, I think!

i agree but just thought i'd mention it as people seem to overlook it.
    Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.