Spesh Roubaix Elite

smokey74
smokey74 Posts: 20
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Hello

Just me again....

I need some words of wisdom cos I have none.... I am looking to buy my first road bike, and I have found the above in a 2006 form for £700, down from its orginal price of £1300. I thought that sounded ok considering its full carbon, and seems pretty similiar to the 2008 model thats about to come out. First, is this a good deal considering its gettin on a bit? Is this ok for long weekend rides, and maybe a bit of racing a bit later on?

Being a bit unfit and useless still, is 9 speed ok or will I expire on hills? I'm used to a mountain bike which weighs as much as a small car but has loads of gears.

Last but not least - as the '08 bikes are coming out soon, is it worth waiting to get a bargain, or will I end up having to choose from all the left-over weird sizes etc?

Many thanks :D

Comments

• smokey74 wrote:
    Hello

Just me again....

I need some words of wisdom cos I have none.... I am looking to buy my first road bike, and I have found the above in a 2006 form for £700, down from its orginal price of £1300. I thought that sounded ok considering its full carbon, and seems pretty similiar to the 2008 model thats about to come out. First, is this a good deal considering its gettin on a bit? Is this ok for long weekend rides, and maybe a bit of racing a bit later on?

Being a bit unfit and useless still, is 9 speed ok or will I expire on hills? I'm used to a mountain bike which weighs as much as a small car but has loads of gears.

Last but not least - as the '08 bikes are coming out soon, is it worth waiting to get a bargain, or will I end up having to choose from all the left-over weird sizes etc?

Many thanks :D

Well I have just bought a Rubaix (slightly better model than yours but essentially the same animal) and can say its fantastically comfortable - other than the saddle! However, I bought mine with a triple and as you are used to an mtb (presumably with a triple) I'd recommend you spend a lttle extra at the shop getting them to do a swop with the compact that the bike currently comes with. At the saving you are making, its a mere trifle extra - but get them to do it before they sell it to you. Its not like your mtb triple btw but it'll still help you get up big hills (like wot they have in Yorks/Lancs . Don't listen to the macho shop talk about "not needing it in England". How do they know what your quads are like, how much you get to ride, the sort of hills you will ride or indeed, whether or not you fancy a pop at an alpine jobby. And hey, a triple weighs very little more than a compact and, if you want to be all macho, don't use the last few cogs! bUT IT SURE IS NICE TO KNOW YOU ARE CARRYING A "GET OT OF JAIL FREE" CARD WITH YOU. oPPS didn't spot the caps lock on - sorry folks.
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html