Has my Trek 7.3fc got an aheadstem or a quill stem?

dcfcfan
dcfcfan Posts: 33
edited August 2007 in Road beginners

Comments

• Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    AHead.

If the stem's got two bolts going across the back of it, it's Ahead.
    If the stem's got one or two big nuts underneath it, it's quill.
  • dcfcfan
    Thanks

That's a pain. I wanted to raise my handlebars. Looks like I need a new stem
  • No need to answer the Q now, but, given your other post, best to isolate each variable one at a time, and address the easiest/cheapest first.

Generally, the bars should be below the saddle, just that at first you may need a tad more flexibility/time for this to be comfortable.

Also, you mention padded undershorts - these tend not to be padded very well and shelling out on decent bibbed shorts is an investment well worth making. If you want to ride a fair bit, 2 pairs of shorts, one over the knee and some winter tights to wear over shorts (Tracksters work reasonably well) should do the trick. The best you can afford, although I realise that can mount up if you go for Assos or the like.

But before even that, it does take a bit of time to, ahem, harden up your nether regions. Just ride through the pain, buy a pot of vaseline and it may resolve itself quicker than you think.
  • A bar with more rise may be a better option than a new stem

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • dcfcfan
    Thanks. I don't have any "red soreness" just the bone I sit on (on the left hand side) feels sore when touched (almost bruised?)

I'm happy to persevere through the pain of course.

I'll experiment with seat position first and then persevere for a few weeks before I look at changing handlebars
  • One other thought. Many people when starting out sit firmly in the saddle all the time, after a while sitting up a fraction going over bumps.