Advice on new bike please.

davelakers
davelakers Posts: 762
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Im not only new to this forum, but Im relatively new to road cycling. I bought a Carrera Gryphon hybrid bike from Halfords through my companies C2W scheme last year. It handles the daily 26 mile commute easily but as Im now getting into longer weekend bike rides and needing a bit more speed and spec (and most importantly less weight, the Gryphon weighs a ton) I am at a loss at which bike to try and persuade my wife into letting me buy.

I dont want to spend much more than £600. I noticed the new Boardman Comp bike, which is available through Halfords through the C2W scheme, looks and sounds very good. But Im torn between that and trading in my current bike with my local bike shop and buying a bike from there.

Does anyone recommend a decent entry levelish road racing bike?

Comments

• Hi Dave.

With the '08 bikes due out shortly, you should be getting some good deals for around £600 - £700 on the '07 bikes from the usual suspects, Trek, Spesh, Giant, Bianchi, Scott etc.

Have a look round the online stores, find a few that you like the look of, locate your nearest dealer for each and take them for a a good 30 min test ride. That should help you make a good informed decision.
    My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Hi Dave.

With the '08 bikes due out shortly, you should be getting some good deals for around £600 - £700 on the '07 bikes from the usual suspects, Trek, Spesh, Giant, Bianchi, Scott etc.

Have a look round the online stores, find a few that you like the look of, locate your nearest dealer for each and take them for a a good 30 min test ride. That should help you make a good informed decision.

Thanks for that.

Is buying online recommended for bikes? What about set up etc? Can you buy and take it in to LBS for set up? Do they not get shitty?
  • Buying online is fine as long as you know exactly what you want. I wouldn't advise buying online without actually knowing how the bike rides, so it would be best to find your closest dealer for each bike on your shortlist and testing them.

Your LBS won't get shitty about taking a bike to them that you bough elsewhere as they are going to charge you for the work anyway.
    My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • sie1uk
    sie1uk Posts: 22
    what about a carrera vanquish 07 for £399 from halfrauds, tiagra setup, carbon front forks and compact setup, looks spot on as well, mine rides excellent would fully reccomend
  • OnTow
    OnTow Posts: 130
    The advantage to the LBS is that, if it's a decent shop, you'll get the right size frame to start with - get the wrong size frame, and you're a bit stuck with making adjustments!
    I've also found it easier to haggle on accessories if you buy locally, so you're more likely to get a decent package price (plus advice).
    Of course, end of line prices at the big chains are very competitive, so it's swings and roundabouts.
    Ribble sell good value bikes and have a good internet site.
    Planet-X sell through local dealers.
    For 600, you're at the bottom end of going to Condor - my favourite shop (Central London) - where you can at least test ride most of the range.
    I think mid October is the traditional range changeover date for most manufacturers, when bargains are to be had.

I like the look of the entry level Trek bikes - some of which even have carrier and mudguard eyes!
    Bianchi make superb bikes, and nobody has mentioned Giant yet.