SPD Pedal & Shoe question

Zain
Zain Posts: 80
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Hi people

I'm after some pedals for my new road bike, looking at my first SPD's :?

But the shoes I'm looking at are specifically for Mountain bike pedals. I didn't realize there was a difference. All the specific road shoes I've found look a little too uncool for me :( 8)

So, contemplating getting mountain bike spd's to allow me to be semi cool again :)

Here is the combo I'm looking at -

pedals - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Productdetail.a ... 5360031037

shoes - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5360020453

Would this combo be acceptable? are there any other kinds of non geeky shoes out there?

Thanks for your time :)

Comments

• I'd check out the Shimano MT31 shoes.

They are very low key, and just more of a touring shoe and look like a pair of low cut trainers - plus, you can walk in them as the cleats are recessed. This was really useful the other day when i had a 3 mile walk home when i had a puncture and forgot my CO2....

They are also really well priced, abot 45 quid for the shoes.
    cheers
  • Zain
    johnno_uk wrote:
    I'd check out the Shimano MT31 shoes.

Thanks. But I think these are also specificaly for Mountain bike Spd's and not for road pedals?
  • I got a Bianchi road bike, and these shoes wtih PDM-520 SPD pedals - all works fine. Not a road racing shoe, but perfect for touring or not looking flash.
    These SPD's seem to be found for both MTB and road bikes. I guess they are decent entry level, but do the job well.
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    A pedal with a part number beginning PD-Mxxx is for a mountain bike style cleat (PD-M324 PD-M325, PD-M520, PD-M530, PD-M959 etc.). PD-Axxx pedals also take mountain-style cleats but are for touring (so lighter and weaker).
    A pedal with a part number beginning PD-Rxxx is for a road style cleat (PD-R540, PD-R600 etc.)

Those DX shoes you've linked to are designed for DH racing. They're going to be a bit heavy and bulky for much road riding.

You're unlikely to find any shoes for road pedals that have a recessed cleat or that are designed to look particularly 'non-geeky'.
  • do a goodle for PDM-520 and you'll see plenty of road users for this pedal, not just MTB.
  • Personally, I think the M540 pedals on my road bike work well and look good too so I wouldn't pay the difference for the M770s. I have M520s on my MTB and touring bikes (which I use much less) and they are good value.

Shoes are obviously a personal thing. I have some Tahos which are great for when you need to ride and then walk a fair bit. Most of the time, though, I use Spec BG Comp MTB shoes - quite stiff but fine for a bit of walking and not too garish, and not too pricey.

The ones you're looking at seem too compromised to give decent performance on the road, but having never tried them I'm only guessing.
  • herbie12
    herbie12 Posts: 41
    The Shimano DXs are great shoes for mountain biking, preferable freeride or DH (though I've known people who've used them for JRA).. however, they'll be far too soft for road use...
  • .....Shoes are obviously a personal thing. I have some Tahos which are great for when you need to ride and then walk a fair bit. Most of the time, though, I use Spec BG Comp MTB shoes - quite stiff but fine for a bit of walking and not too garish, and not too pricey.
    I'd agree, I got the above Spesh shoes as my first SPD shoes and have been impressed. Nice n light, comfortable and good value.
  • Zain
    Thanks for the tips guys,

hmmm decisions decisions....
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Just seen the 08 Spesh shoes are out:
    http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... goryID=218
  • I have a pair of specialized sonoma shoes
    http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=10842
    which are pretty darn smart both on and off bike. You still sound like a girl in high heels walking down the stairs though ;)

I use these with shimano M540 pedals on a flatbar specialized sirrus sport, mostly for commuting but I've slowly been catching the road bug and going for 60 mile rides at weekends with 30 mile rides during the evening and both the shoes and pedals seem fine. Of course I've never tried road shoes or pedals to compare...

Stephen