Vuelta TV coverage in the UK

donaldinho
donaldinho Posts: 103
edited September 2007 in Pro race
Hello folks [first post here :) ]

does anybody know what, if any, coverage of the Vuelta a España there will be on UK TV this year?

I'm considering upgrading my cable deal to include British Eurosport…

Thanks for looking! 8)

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    British Eurosport is the only TV channel that will show it. You usually get 1-2 hours per day.

But if you have a decent broadband connection, you may want to look at www.cycling.tv - this year they are streaming the Vuelta every day for free at 400k speeds, or for 21 euro at 1200k.
  • donaldinho
    donaldinho Posts: 103
    Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
  • Anyone know if it's David Duffield that is commentating?? As he was commentating at the last stage of the Tour of Burgos I thought maybe he was in Spain for the long haul!
  • afx237vi
    I very much doubt they were in Spain doing the commentary for Burgos. Most of Eurosport's commentary is done in front of a TV in Paris (TdF being the exception).
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    afx237vi wrote:
    I very much doubt they were in Spain doing the commentary for Burgos. Most of Eurosport's commentary is done in front of a TV in Paris (TdF being the exception).

The way they were talking all through the race about various food they had at night etc i think they were in Spain for Burgos. I think they go to a few of races to commentate the spring classics the Giro and the Vuelta spring to mind

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Moray Gub wrote:
    The way they were talking all through the race about various food they had at night etc i think they were in Spain for Burgos. I think they go to a few of races to commentate the spring classics the Giro and the Vuelta spring to mind

cheers
    MG
    Last year David Harmon and Sean Kelly were commentating on the Giro from a studio in Shepperton. Poor sods.
  • I am looking forward to the Vuelta.

A clean winner I hope.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    andyp wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

cheers
    MG
    Last year David Harmon and Sean Kelly were commentating on the Giro from a studio in Shepperton. Poor sods.

They must dive in and out then coz i have heard them say often about their commentary position being at the top of this hill or the end of this finishing straight.

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • On international Eurosport, from an Analogue satellite box (yes I still have one) and it's FREE.

to misquote a TV ad,

" I'm Loving it"
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    afx237vi wrote:
    . . . www.cycling.tv - this year they are streaming the Vuelta every day for free at 400k speeds, or for 21 euro at 1200k.

Can anyone tell me what the difference between 400k and 1200k actually looks like?

Is 400k completely unwatchable or is it just that 1200k is crystal clear?
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    i find 400 k to be right on the bottom end of watchable. 800 k is fine, 1200 k is virtually TV quality.

The lower bit rates really get annoying with the close-ups, cos everything tends to jump around a bit. On the wide shots it's better.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    When i went on the site, the whle site wouldn't work at all!
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Having switched to a digital satellite receiver some time ago (from an analogue) I am currently able to watch (free to air) the closing part of each stage of the Vuelta on Eurosport albeit with a German commentary or on TVE International in Spanish.

The other advantages include being able to pick up RTBF (Belgium) which has shown lots of races from Belgium this spring (plus the TdF) and RAISat which nearly always shows half hour highlights in the evening of most of the racing calendar in Italy. If you don't speak any of the languages it is still fairly easy to pick up the riders names, etc. plus there is always on screen information to help. (You even get to see and hear David Cassani on RAI - now what was he in the news for recently?)

Hommelbier
  • afx237vi
    You can get TVE on Sky Digital too. Channel 795. They actually show less of the Vuelta than Eurosport do :shock:

I seem to remember David Harmon saying once that TVE are in dispute with another Spanish channel and that's why only get around 60 minutes per day.
  • I'm off to Spain on Saturday and apart from (hopefully) seeing more coverage over there I'll also get to see one of the stages as it finishes close to where I'm staying. Oh and the 30deg temps, cold beer and no work is all pretty good as well.
    You hear that? He's up there... mewing in the nerve centre of his evil empire. A ground rent increase here, a tax dodge there? he sticks his leg in the air, laughs his cat laugh... and dives back down to grooming his balls!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Can someone explain why the hell Eurosport sod about with the starting times???

3.30pm they advertise so I set my Virgin+ machine to record. I playback from the start at 3.30pm and the bloody coverage has already started. Monday I missed the final sprint.

I have now set the machine to record 10 minutes before to advertised time and 10 minutes after. Hopefully I won't miss much.
  • In your example it's actually because they started coverage early as the Volleyball proceeding it finished early, so it's bonus material.

My favourite Eurosport one is when they're supposed to show the highlights of the day and then don't bother with the program at all.
  • I just set my DVR to start at 2 and finish at 5, just delete the file when you've watched it.
  • I'm off to Spain on Saturday and apart from......... Oh and the 30deg temps, cold beer and no work is all pretty good as well.
    Not to be outdone, I was working in Spain some years ago, and the Mercatone Uno team were in the same hotel. Shook Marco Pantani's hand. Little did I know what the future held for him.