Cattle Grids

Jonah2940
Jonah2940 Posts: 58
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Hi all,
I've had my road bike about three months now and loving it!.
One obstacle that gets me when out on my rides is Cattle Grids! I ride mostly on country lanes so can encounter many when out and about. Is it ok to ride straight over them (as my bike feels like its going to fall apart it shakes so much) or should i be walking over them to save my bike?
Thanks

Comments

• you'll be fine but may be slow down if it's been raining as the metal can get slippy
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Can be slippy in wet, especially if on a corner, but otherwise I'd go over without breaking - the speed irons out the bumbs.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • owaingibby
    owaingibby Posts: 240
    I go flat out over them, I make sure I it them head on so the grid itself is 90deg the direction of travel of the bike.

There's a set of them on a descent I ride down, incidentally it's the fastest descent around, hit 59mph down it once, it's good for 50mph easy.
  • adifiddler
    adifiddler Posts: 113
    I know what you mean the cattle grids that are made of tubular steel are a nightmare and very uncomfortable to ride over, the newer flat bar cattle grids are a lot better to ride over.

The trick is to reduce your speed slightly, sit up and keep the bike upright, dont change direction on the grid and dont touch the brakes. I often get out of the saddle too.
    No 1 fan in the jonesy124 Fan Club
  • owaingibby
    owaingibby Posts: 240
    The set I mentioned is made up of flat bars, but also worth noting is their placement within the road, another set nearby is actually recessed into the road meaning it's set down by about an inch and a half it's okay if your riding into it but when you've got an inch and a half step coming out of it you've got to watch out.
  • Big Tcp
    Big Tcp Posts: 163
    If you're going fast enough downhill, you can bunny hop them.
  • Thanks for all the tips guys - don't think I'll be trying the bunny hop just yet though!
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Out of the saddle, more weight towards the back wheel, take them square and and don't brake. As long as your front wheel is OK, then your back wheel will follow it.

But round ones going up a 12% hill, they're a b****r.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Wessex CTC do a Randonnee every year called the "Gridiron".

100 km, and reputed to include the maximum number of cattle grids - hence the name.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • bikerbill
    bikerbill Posts: 269
    As with any iron work in the road, a bit of caution is required when it's wet. A mate of mine came off on one and ended up in hospital with severe concussion for a couple of weeks.

Bill