sherwood pines

i-drive
i-drive Posts: 527
edited September 2007 in MTB rides
after finaly deciding to try somewhere different to ride we opted for sherwood pines purely from looking on the net it is only a good hours drive from huddersfield so that is good .i wondered if anyone could give me some more info on this course & more inportantly is it open ,on the forestry website its has a small columne to the right saying closed for repair but then underneath ther is another link dated 8 mths ago so im cluless.

Comments

• Discopooh
    Discopooh Posts: 109
    I preety much make it up as I go along. It's got some stuff in there,just dart off the firetrack and have top fun. Very easy to get lost cuz it's massive
  • lovewales
    lovewales Posts: 411
    The dual descender bit is shut because they are rebuilding it.

The forest is mainly twisty single track and fairly level but still good fun.

I would aviod the fire roads and the best way I found of finding new routes around is to follow someone who looks like they know where they are going I found some top single track this way :D. If you go into the east side of the visitors centre it's not that big but if your worried take a compass and map.
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
  • i-drive wrote:
    after finaly deciding to try somewhere different to ride we opted for sherwood pines purely from looking on the net it is only a good hours drive from huddersfield so that is good .i wondered if anyone could give me some more info on this course & more inportantly is it open ,on the forestry website its has a small columne to the right saying closed for repair but then underneath ther is another link dated 8 mths ago so im cluless.

Ay up mate! Sherwood Pines is a good blast but the trails are not waymarked so unless you either know it or can tag onto someone its easy to get lost. Most people wont mind you tagging on or at least will put you in the right direction. ask in the shop as well for info. good luck!
    Another tree...another cracked rib!!
  • i-drive
    i-drive Posts: 527
    to be honest,it was a poor days rideing me & a friend went on sunday the 19th.firstly we started from sherwood forest not pines that was the first mistake as it was a 6/7 mile ride via some bridleway & mostly road. secondly it was a complete monsoon,there is some great potential but the sheer lack of any signs or maps its unrideable every turn looks the same.the few sections before the railway bridge were good fun but that is all .managed to cover 30miles larking around.dalby it ain,t.dalby it could be! p.s we would of tagged on but we were the only people on bikes we saw,= cant tell you the amount of times we got lost.
  • I spoke to someone from the shop not long ago and they said the Forestry Commission expect to complete Pines by 2009.
    WTF.
    I'M RATHER PATRIOTIC
  • daxion
    daxion Posts: 104
    Pines is ok but you do have to link up a lot of trails to have a good time.
    I used to ride there a lot and it took me around six weeks to find most trails. There are some reasonably good trails, you just have to know where they are.

I prefer FTD and Wharncliffe woods and if I fancy a change 34km round Ladybower inc the beast. (see the map on my photo site)
    http://www.heretic-sports.info/daxphoto ... index.html
    4100ft total ascent 34km loop with some killer hills and crazy descents
    Dave - Spin instructor