Dilema - Help Please!

smokey74
smokey74 Posts: 20
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Hi All

I'm completely new to road bikes, and am trying to pick something decent to start off with. I went looking today, and found a Specialized Allez Elite (07) and a Specialized Roubaix Elite (06), both for the same price. The second is completely carbon, while the first only has carbon bits. I also came across a Bianchi Anniversary model (07) which is cheaper than either of the Specs.

As you can probably tell, I'm not terribly sure what I am looking for. Do these sound ok for a beginner, or would you recommend something else?

Many thanks in advance. :D

Comments

• overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    Try 'em both out. :D
    Buy the one that corresponds to the music of your soul... 8)

The next bike I buy I'm bringing a Rabbi, a priest and a monk with me for guidance.
  • smokey74
    Thanks for that.

I did have a quick ride on both, and to be honest, coming from a MTB they both seemed kinda similiar to me......

Also wondering whether I shouldn't wait a couple of weeks til the '08 bikes come out - the '07 ones presumably get a lot cheaper?
  • pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    I would take my time, and test ride several if possible. It's less important to get a bargain than to get a bike that fits you well and that you feel good about. Because hopefully you and the new bike are going to spend a lot of time together.
  • smokey74
    Yeah youre completely right. I need to have a proper look around - both the bikes above were in the same (and first) shop I have been into. I guess I was in a bit of a hurry cos I was keen to get out there, and wasnt sure how long summer would last!!

If you have any recommendations to help with the search, that would be cool :D
  • hilaryw
    hilaryw Posts: 12
    I'm also newly back to road bikes having spent several years failing to keep up with my other half on an mtb. I'm shopping around at the moment for a good deal on a road bike and I have tried both the Roubaix and the Allez that you're looking at. The Roubaix has a less aggressive riding position (and better kit) so for me it would have been ideal since I'm not going to be joining the local race team any time soon. However my LBS wanted an extra 350 quid for the Roubaix so I walked away. I would definitely suggest you should try them both out and see what you think will suit your riding better. They are both excellent bikes! Another bike I'm looking at is the Giant SCR1.0 which is highly spec'd and probably cheaper than the Specialized bikes you're looking at. Check out winstanleys - they have the Giant for £599. I'd also recommend getting your measurements done (try a bikefitting.com facility) so you can find your way around the mass of highly confusing geometries so you get a good starting point for which bikes are likely to be more comfortable)
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    In my opinion summer never lasts long enough, and this comes to you from the land of perpetual sunshine. Seeing as my stepdaughter now resides in London, and reports back regularly, I understand you quandary.

Helpful? No.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    um.. coming from a non-racing bike background I bought a Trek 1000. Ok frame, cheap bits easy to change as/whenm required. Comfy bike, relaxed handling- not sure of UK proces tho'
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    I have a Giant SCR 1 W and love it. It is very well specced for the reduced price i payed for it.

I'd be careful looking at buying bikes from Winstanleys. I was going to buy mine from them as it was the best deal i found, however, despite it saying on the website it's available to order, when i called they had none in stock and as giant had run out they couldn't order. They did offer me a cracking deal on the 08 model but the spec has changed significantly i didn't want that model. Having looked at the website the bike is STILL advertised on there as available to order despite telling me over 3weeks ago that wasn't the case. If you're a fairly normal size i wouldn't get excited about a fantastc deal you've seen on there until you've spoken to them.

I also would second the bikefitting.com service.
  • hilaryw
    hilaryw Posts: 12
    Good to hear your warning about Winstanleys... In fact I went to my LBS and have bought my shiny new SCR1 from them. In the end I have paid only £40 more than Winstanleys but have got the '08 model (with a triple) instead of the '07 that Winstanley were supposedly offering. I think I've got a good deal.
  • Zain
    Zain Posts: 80
    mea00csf wrote:
    I have a Giant SCR 1 W and love it. It is very well specced for the reduced price i payed for it.

I'd be careful looking at buying bikes from Winstanleys. I was going to buy mine from them as it was the best deal i found, however, despite it saying on the website it's available to order, when i called they had none in stock and as giant had run out they couldn't order. They did offer me a cracking deal on the 08 model but the spec has changed significantly i didn't want that model. Having looked at the website the bike is STILL advertised on there as available to order despite telling me over 3weeks ago that wasn't the case. If you're a fairly normal size i wouldn't get excited about a fantastc deal you've seen on there until you've spoken to them.

I also would second the bikefitting.com service.

Coincidence. Exact same thing happened to me this weekend. Available to order on the website but once I placed the order and rang them to confirm it - I was told ' sorry, we've just sold out of the SCR 1 but we can sell you the 2007 Spring model for £80 more'

Probably intentionally leaving it as available and trying to shit the Spring models.

Shamelessly, I took the deal and am awaiting delivery of my first ever road bike.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    generally if you get a good deal on a 07 bike, get it. If it suits.

Most of the 08 bikes just have a new paint job
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • mea00csf
    Zain, Might be worth a quick investigation of what you're getting.

Apologies it was the spring release they offered me for a similar deal to what they did for you. Thing is the first release was a triple chainring and the spring release was double chainrings. When they offered me it as an alternative they didn't point this out, it was only that i'd already looked into the newer model that i knew and when i asked the guy on the phone he confirmed i was right and i told him i didn't want it. I know they've been playing the womens bike specs as i *think* last year was the first year Giant did them. But worth double checking you're getting what you want as Winstanleys won't have compared the bike they offered you to the bike you asked for.
  • Zain
    Zain Posts: 80
    mea00csf wrote:
    Zain, Might be worth a quick investigation of what you're getting.

Apologies it was the spring release they offered me for a similar deal to what they did for you. Thing is the first release was a triple chainring and the spring release was double chainrings. When they offered me it as an alternative they didn't point this out, it was only that i'd already looked into the newer model that i knew and when i asked the guy on the phone he confirmed i was right and i told him i didn't want it. I know they've been playing the womens bike specs as i *think* last year was the first year Giant did them. But worth double checking you're getting what you want as Winstanleys won't have compared the bike they offered you to the bike you asked for.

Yes it should be the double that I'm getting. I've compared the 2 models at my local bike shop and the assistant said the only difference is the double - triple, apart from that both bikes are identical.
    The chap at Winstanleys seemed to think that there are a few more differences - better wheels? better seat :?
    Given the choice I'd rather have the double, but, given the choice I'd rather save £80 too.
  • mea00csf
    The main differences on the womens were the double/triple chainrings, better saddle on the spring model, worse cranks on the spring model. I wanted the triple so carried on hunting around, i'd also rather have better cranks than saddle as doesn'tmatter how expensive a saddle is you still might not like it!

Weirdly they've decide not to produce an SCR 1.0 w this year. This highest spec in the womens is the 1.5 which i assume is comparable to the LTD last year. Oh well, glad i got mine when i did!
  • smokey74
    Right. Sorted!

I ended up with the Spesh Allez Elite. Its an '07 model so I got it for a good price. Now I just need to get out there and use the thing!

Many thanks for the help :D
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Don't overlook Trek - some great value bikes.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.