xc bike advice needed :)

JimiHendrix
JimiHendrix Posts: 21
edited August 2007 in Women
Hello, my girlfriend is looking for a new xc bike for around £500. I think she wants an hard tail so it will be more reliable. I had a look at the kona Lisa but is a bit too expensive. What can anyone recommend?
Demon Hendrix

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look at the What Bike thread in the general section - test mens and womens too.
  • You should be able to get last year's Konas for a good price - especially if you can wait until autumn - maybe a Cinder Cone or Caldera - although neither are XC race bikes. Sometimes there are good deals on Kulas.

Don't worry too much about whether it's a Lisa. Konas are v popular with women because of their short top tubes, and the fact they come in more sizes (e.g. 14, 16, 17, 18, 19 inch etc) rather than just 3 or 4 sizes like most bikes. Just make sure you change the saddle.

Specialized & Trek do womens specific models too.
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    I was in a similar situation to your missus, in the end I ended up getting a 2008 Trek 4500 WSD for £400. The regular 4500 is described in the 'What Bike' thread as:
    Trek 4500 - £400: no discs on this one, but 9spd Shimano, Rockshox fork and light make for another excellent XC offering from Trek

http://www.speeds-cycles.co.uk/mountain ... 0-wsd.html

Specialized have started a new range this year called Myka, so the Elite version might be close to what your missus is after, and is also just below your price range.

As most people said to me, it's really best if she actually tries bikes out, and finds out what she's most comfortable on.
  • DR650s
    DR650s Posts: 24
    We have just got my missus a 2007 spesh Rockhopper D4W, and very pleased she is with it too. Got £100 of from Evans so they are £649 at the moment.

Only disapointing part was how badly prepped the bike was, I had to bleed the brakes and adjust the rear derailers B screw after the first shake down ride as the jockey wheel was hitting the cassette in all gears and the brakes were appalling, if not down right dangerous (almost no braking power in the front at all). But after a quick tinker its all good, and performed flawlessly on a 22 mile ride Bank Holiday Monday.