Rear Wheel/Hub Question

Gav2000
Gav2000 Posts: 408
edited August 2007 in Road general
Hopefully someone can answer this one for me; If I have a bike with a flip flop hub that is fixed on one side but free on the other can I change the free side to run another fixed cog?

Cheers,

Gavin.
Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
You'll hear about him ever'where you go.

Comments

• You have two problems here; firstly the lock ring is there for a reason, despite what some people say it's not safe to run fixed without a reverse threaded lockring; secondly the chain line will be different to the tune of about 4mm due to the difference in the freewheel and sprocket.

The chainline issue is easy to solve with a 4mm spacer, but it still won't be safe to run without a lock ring.
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker
  • jbindman
    jbindman Posts: 1,328
    well i have 2 fixed cogs on my fixed free hub at the moment, though i have been using the side with the lockring for ages. personally i dont leg brake a lot, i have rear brake fitted, and am very unlikely to dislodge a cog without a lock ring, so i dont worry about the safety aspect too much. but as you see, there are some who have strong opinions about this sort of thing.
    fgg 1666
  • jbindman wrote:
    well i have 2 fixed cogs on my fixed free hub at the moment, though i have been using the side with the lockring for ages. personally i dont leg brake a lot, i have rear brake fitted, and am very unlikely to dislodge a cog without a lock ring, so i dont worry about the safety aspect too much. but as you see, there are some who have strong opinions about this sort of thing.

What do you do about the chainline problem?
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    You have two problems here; firstly the lock ring is there for a reason, despite what some people say it's not safe to run fixed without a reverse threaded lockring;

Look, seriously, there is no need to make such subjective statements - it's one of those things that will always be just a matter of opinion. Remember there are people who would just as easily make the statement that it's not safe to ride a bike with no freewhee!.
  • jbindman
    jbindman Posts: 1,328
    What do you do about the chainline problem?

never noticed one- im sure youre right the free side cog must sit in a slightly differnet position, ill have a look, but its not enough to rattle or jump, on my bike anyway. but as you also say there are solutions to that anyway - spacer, move the chain tug inside the drop out or to the other side etc.
    fgg 1666
  • Gav2000 wrote:
    Hopefully someone can answer this one for me; If I have a bike with a flip flop hub that is fixed on one side but free on the other can I change the free side to run another fixed cog?

Cheers,

Gavin.

Yes, I've done it, though it's not been tested very hard. I added an old bottom bracket lockring (RH thread & of debatable value).

But, the free side sprocket may unscrew. The issue is similar to the debate about the pros & cons of a lockring, which was primarily amongst those who had a choice, i.e. had a hub with a LH thread for a lockring. This has already been discussed here (maybe lost from "archives") & in acf.

Chainline is not a simple issue. Bad chainline & poor chain tension increase the probabiiity of derailing the chain, with potentially disastrous results. Meticulous (in my case paranoid :wink: ), frequent adjustment of tension will prevent the derailleur disease.
    Nick
    One lady owner, never raced or hunted.