Calling the cycling fashion police...

Shakka
Shakka Posts: 73
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
OK - so I'll put my hands up - I've been a fair weather cyclist up until now... 8)

This weekend I'm planning to be out & about on the bike. Would I be committing a fashion faux pas by heading out in shorts, with overshoes over my new road shoes? Forecast is for heavy showers. Doesn't seem right to me, to have overshoes without the full leggings (too warm still to wear leggings) but then again I don't know any different...plus I want to protect my new road shoes...

What are the 10 cycling commandments...Thou shalt not etc...

I guess the first & most obvious one would be....

1. Thou shalt not wear white lycra shorts in the rain (unless you're a LADY!)

Any others?

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    fine ...thats what the tour guys do.....

2) thou shalt not acknowledge another rider ona different class of bike to thou's
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • 2) thou shalt not acknowledge another rider ona different class of bike to thou's

Down here in london it seems that 2 should be

2) thou shalt not acknowledge another rider.

It was a lot friendlier when I lived ooop north.
  • no probs, new shoes, don't ruin them.
    judging by some of the weird clothing matches and lack of fashion taste that gets paraded around I wouldn't wory if I were you.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • herbie12
    herbie12 Posts: 41
    This is a bit long and is lifted from the Facebook Euro-Cyclist group, but I think it clearly explains the rules of cycling dress and ettiquette.

Hopefully the link will work...

Rules of the Euro Cyclist

Hopefully this will clarify what is and is not allowed...

5. If white cycling shoes are not available where you reside, white booties with prominent logos shall always be worn. When booties are worn, socks should protrude approximately 3 to 4 inches above the top of the shoe cover.
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Herbie12 wrote:
    5. If white cycling shoes are not available where you reside, white booties with prominent logos shall always be worn. When booties are worn, socks should protrude approximately 3 to 4 inches above the top of the shoe cover.

That's Sooooooo 2005, long socks are out, keep up man :lol: .

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • herbie12
    herbie12 Posts: 41
    Garybee wrote:
    Herbie12 wrote:

That's Sooooooo 2005, long socks are out, keep up man :lol: .

Not in the world of the Euro-cyclist!

3. The Socks must extend no less than 2cm below the main bulge of your calf muscle, and shall never extend further than 1cm past the primary calf muscle bulge. All socks shall be white in colour with prominent logo placement.
  • ean
    ean Posts: 98
    ddraver wrote:
    fine ...thats what the tour guys do.....

2) thou shalt not acknowledge another rider ona different class of bike to thou's

Nay - Thou shalt always acknowledge another rider, especially if on a different class of bike to thou
    The trees lie about the wind...
    www.wirralseafishing.co.uk
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Legwarmers over shorts makes baby jesus cry :(
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Hi-viz jackets after dawn and before dusk......*shudder*
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Every time a cyclist wears a large cotton t-shirt tucked into his lycra shorts, God kills a puppy.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    i wore overshoes and lycra shorts the other day - don't mind wet legs but can't stand squelching feet.
    x
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    The first cycling commandment is to not get cold feet, if that means wearing overshoes even without full leggings then so be it.

If you only want to wear overshoes because you don't want to get your shiny new shoes dirty, then you're such a wimp :twisted:
  • Herbie12 wrote:
    This is a bit long and is lifted from the Facebook Euro-Cyclist group, but I think it clearly explains the rules of cycling dress and ettiquette.

Hopefully the link will work...

Rules of the Euro Cyclist

Hopefully this will clarify what is and is not allowed...

By far the best group on facebook :D
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015