Audax - Giant vs Cannondale

PatG
PatG Posts: 3
edited August 2007 in Tour & expedition
I'm looking to purchase a bike in the US shortly as I will be based there for a while for work. I have a Trek 1500 and Dawes Horizon but I would like something more suited to long (over 200k) spins that I will bring back with me.
I am thinking either Giant OCR 2 or 3 or alternatively Cannondale Synapse Sport 3 or 4.

So....any opinions on the suitability of these for Audax events that may eventually build up to LEL or PBP? Suggestions for alternatives welcome but preference is that they be readily available in US and be in the $1,000 range.

Thanks,

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    PatG wrote:
    I'm looking to purchase a bike in the US shortly as I will be based there for a while for work. I have a Trek 1500 and Dawes Horizon but I would like something more suited to long (over 200k) spins that I will bring back with me.
    I am thinking either Giant OCR 2 or 3 or alternatively Cannondale Synapse Sport 3 or 4.

So....any opinions on the suitability of these for Audax events that may eventually build up to LEL or PBP? Suggestions for alternatives welcome but preference is that they be readily available in US and be in the $1,000 range.

Thanks,

I wouldn't want to do an audax over 200km and certainly not PBP on either of these bikes. Best to go to the audax type thread and post there. you should be thinking mudguard and luggage capability along with all -day/night comfort
    M.Rushton
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    I agree with mrushton and look for a bike built for comfort and not for speed

that is if you would rather do Audax than Sportives.

Bob Jackson and Surly ( their Long Haul Trucker) are good names in the US
    george
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I got a giant scr2 recently.I have got it set up for a very comfortable position, although flipping the stem over will drop the bars, and it fits mudguards and slightly fatter tyres , so better than ocr for audax and general use I think. great value and perforance.
    TerryJ
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    Check out the Trek Pilot range, from basic aluminium to full carbon. They have a relaxed, comfort geometry and fittings for full mudguards.