Commute / Leisure ride bike

darenr
darenr Posts: 18
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Hi

My g-friend has finally decided to give a bike a go and is looking at something to get to work and back again and to go on leisurely rides.

She has been looking at either the Scott P4 and the Specialized Sirrus. It's been an awful long time since I've looked into bikes and have no real idea about hybrids.

Anyone have any ideas/opinions on either of these, or alternatives of similiar price? Also, is it easy to get a rack/pannier solution fitted to either of these, as the Scott frame looked a little "odd" to me :wink: btw, she was looking at a step-through frame because she is quite diddy :wink:

Thanks guys (and gals!)

Comments

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Not being personal, but - How "diddy"??

There is a company called http://www.islabikes.co.uk who make scaled down "childrens's bikes", but of a high standard with quality finishing kit.

These have been used successfully by small riders and will do all that you want.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • darenr
    darenr Posts: 18
    Cunobelin wrote:
    Not being personal, but - How "diddy"??

There is a company called http://www.islabikes.co.uk who make scaled down "childrens's bikes", but of a high standard with quality finishing kit.

These have been used successfully by small riders and will do all that you want.

heheh!!

She's 5'2".

I find it quit amusing but I don't think she'd be too chuffed to see me looking through a kid's bike section :wink: But it might be worth a look on the sly :wink:
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I was being very serious....

Forget the "kids" tag - Islabikes are quality bikes on a small scale, and have proven very successful for smaller riders.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)