Shifters on road bike

Epoch
Epoch Posts: 23
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Hiya just got a cheap road bike and it has handle bar shifters by the stem. I was thinking of upgrading to intergrated brake/ gear shifters but hav not to much idea where to start!

I have a 14 speed shimano set up and as a student looking for a cheapish fix i was thinking of campag xenon shifters but unsure because of there 9/10 speed configuration.

Any ideas would be helpful

Thanks!

Comments

• dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    Sora are fine.
    There's a big myth on this forum about not being able to change on the drops, but that's rubbish.
  • Epoch
    Epoch Posts: 23
    its not a sora there somethink else like giant vertical thumb shifters still shimano thou
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    well i agree with the not being able to change UP in the drop argument

up as in the proper use of the word up..as in to a smaller rear sprocket
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    If you're talking about not being able to change UP on Sora STI shifters when on the drops you're wrong.
    All it takes is the technique of swinging your elbow inwards. Probably something you didn't do if testing a Sora bike at the bike shop. It’s an easy movement that takes less than a second and is quite easy after a few goes. I agree there are better systems if you’re racing.
    I actually find the movement of changing DOWN using the brake shifter more difficult, but I have small hands.
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    There is a guy selling some STI shifters in the for sale section of this forum very cheap. I almost bought them just to sell on e-bay, suggest you look quickly.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.