possibly daft question about tyres (& wheels)

unCivilServant
unCivilServant Posts: 600
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
OK, I'm not really a total novice--been touring, commuting etc. for years--but don't know anything about racing. I've entered for the London Duathlon longer distance, this being my 2nd race ever (1st one was the LD shorter distance last year). Will be using my touring bike (again).

Anyway, given I'm not really a racer I'm not up for spending much on 'go-faster' (or 'go-easier'!) upgrades, but did wonder about tyres. I've currently got 700x32 touring tyres; my wheel rims (on a rough measurement...only just thought to do it, without a ruler, pen or taking the tyres off :oops: ) are about 28mm across. Now comes the "daft question" part: 1. what scope is there for using thinner tyres with these wheels? (Since I'd only be using them for racing/days out, they wouldn't need to be suitable for touring.)

2. Alternatively, although my wheels don't actually need replacing from a 'worn out' PoV, I'm thinking about splashing out on thinner ones. Given the expense (oh yes, I am a seeerious cheapskate), I wouldn't necessarily want to keep up 2 sets of wheels (or, I might be on a tour but want to do occasional unladen day rides so wouldn't have the option of swapping anyway). So, what's the thinnest wheels that would still be adequate for laden touring?--I weigh 60kg, my luggage usually 10-15kg on tours.

And yeah, this ignorance probably does all sound a bit dozy :? --but in mitigation, the 'When it wears out, just get a new component with the same numbers on' approach has worked OK for the last 8 years... :wink:

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    So, what's the thinnest wheels that would still be adequate for laden touring?--I weigh 60kg, my luggage usually 10-15kg on tours.

Most road racing wheels that take tyres in the order of 700x23 will easily take that weight. I alone weigh 80Kg and my road wheels don't have any problems
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr