Unhealthy Weight Loss? When to eat?

Chirg
Chirg Posts: 141
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
I have been cycling for six months now (still class myself as a newby) and have steadily lost two inches from my waist over this time. I am six foot and now have a 32 inch waist which I want to maintain. In the last two weeks I have done 150 miles per week, including a 84 miler last Saturday which is by far my longest distance ever. I was shocked to that I seem to have gone down a belt notch (to 31) within these two weeks. I am sure this is really unhealthy and don't want to get any thinner, but want to keep up this mileage each week. Should I try to eat more during long my ride or eat like a horse in the days between the long rides?

Comments

• Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Welcome to the racing cyclist's club of "worrying about your weight too much". I'm 5'10" and have a 28" waist, if i lose 2lbs i worry that i'm either dehydrated or going to go slower in TTs. If i gain 2lbs i worry that i'm putting on weight and won't be as good a climber.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • Smeggers
    Smeggers Posts: 1,019
    Equally, Im 6'2" and a 38 inch waist.

I therefore hate the ground you walk on! :wink:
    <font size="1">Hickory Dickory Dock,
    A baby elephant ran up the clock,
    The clock is being repaired</font id="size1">
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    If its fat you've lost, there's no problem. Whe you reach near to your 'ideal' weight you naturally plateau anyway. If it's water (extremely likely) or muscle (possible) then you need to do something about it. Make sure you drink enough all the time - not just on the bike. Eat lots of veggies and fruit (this is mostly water so very useful food for keeping you well hydrated without having to swig gallons of H2o). Also don't carb load at the expense of other foods pre-big ride. Do make sure you eat some more balanced meals as well, so you do get adequate protein - especially after riding and especially if you're ridng what you consider to be very long or very intense sessions. Just eat well (plenty of fruit and veg and good balanced meals, no pointless and non-useful junk) and keep an eye on your hydration. It's common as a relative newby to cycling, to be using up more caloies than someone of more experience over the same distance/route (you're working harder than they are) so bear that in mind too. When I was new to cycling, I used to find that my ex B/F hardly needed to eat at all on the rides we did together, but I got the bonk (as a newby) if I didn't eat tonnes!

Most people who loose weight seemingly effortlessly (unless there is a medical reason for it) are simply underestimating the amount of calories they are eating, compared to energy expenditure, and vice versa - those who claim they 'eat like birds' yet seem to gain weight (again unless there is a real medical reason for this) are either lying about how much they consume, or really don't realise how much they are actually eating. It's that simple. Anyone who has this problem can try keeping an honest food (and exercise) diary for two weeks, then work out the amount of calories per day/week they need for the amount of exercise per day/week they have done, and it will be immediately obvious what's gone on.
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    There's a reason the Cake Stop is called the Cake Stop. Stop. Eat cake. :D
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    But equally that could also be a suggestion to stop eating cake :? .

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • Chirg
    Thanks everyone

More worried about having to buy new suits for work again rather than my times in TTs or climbing as I am a bit too new to start racing, but I'll take that as a compliment thanks Garybee. Took the old ones to the charity shop when I went from 32 to 34 thinking I would only grow rounder with age, but now have back at 32s again. Could have saved the expense and bought a better bike.

Thanks for the advice Blonde, I have been eating a mountain of pasta the night before and after my long rides and just easting banans on the bike. I will try to eat more normally before and after, but should I eat other food on the bike or still stick to bananas?

Sorry Andy trying not to stop or eat cake on my rides, but if I loose any more weight might have to eat cakes non stop when i am not out riding.
  • Blonde
    Regarding what to eat on rides: I have major problems with low blood sugar whether out on the bike or sat at home if I dont eat regularly and have proper meals. Apart from anything I don't think it does your digestive system a great deal of good to skip meals just because you're out. You end up with painful trapped wind, constipation and other issues! If you are stopping for food en-route, either take your lunch/tea with you or go eat at a cafe or pub - and eat a 'normal' lunch - for me this a proper hot meal, as I eat a hot dinner every day whilst I'm at work during the week anyway, so if I'm out on the bike I really need it! A balanced meal is generally considered a *good thing* whether on the bike or off. If you're not stopping then try to eat a buttie or another real food that you can easily get out of your jersey pocket and munch without it going all over the road or choking you! If you can't stomach 'real' food on rides at all, get some proper carbohydrate sports bars - not the cr@p ceal bars that are full of sugar, salt and fat and god knows what else, but the proper low-fat, (some are high fibre too) long chain sugar and electrolyte containing ones or something like those 'Nkd' or 'Clif' fruit bars - available at whole food shops, as are many of the sports ones. A few of those should see you through, but you'll need a variety of different ones or you'll go mad. You could have a protein recovery drink or bar, or one of those 'meal replacement' bars afterwards if you aren't eating any real food straight away. I'd still prefer a yogurt+fruit (protein and carbs) smoothie myself, though it takes a bit more effort than opening a packet - cut the fruit up and assemble eveything before you go out and leave it all in the fridge ready to blend when you get back. If you're out all day you should be stopping and eating at your usual meal times anyway, unless you're racing.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I'm interested in your situation, Chirg, because there are plenty of people about who can't shift the weight, despite riding a great deal and being careful with their diet. Can I ask what your weight is? And also, would you describe your diet as 'normal'? I mean, are you extremely health-conscious, eating an extremely low-fat diet or a vegetarian or anything like that?

I'm not sure I'm with Blonde on advocating full, sit-down meals mid-ride, but you do need to eat during a ride of 80 miles or so. Bananas, muesli bars, malt loaf, jam butties, fig rolls - whatever you fancy and can carry in your pockets. You also need a good breakfast before it, and a really good feed afterwards.......... but most people know when they need to eat because they feel hungry! Do you not feel more hungry now that you're riding so much?

Ruth
    www.rutheyles.co.uk/
  • Blonde
    No problem with eating full meals if you're not racing. As I have got fitter I find it much easier to eat real meals on rides. On my last Alps trip, in June, at the top of one of the Cols, (not before it!) I consumed a three course dinner (salad, rare steak and chips and a pudding - I could still have those then) which served me well for the rest of the day and beyond it, as I hadn't eaten enough the day before - trying to avoid bread in France is very difficult and results in the bonk on 100+ mile days in the Alps unless you do go and eat in a restaurant where you can get potatoes or chips! When I first started cycling though, eating a big meal during a ride made me queasy but that's because I wasn't very fit and so was riding at a high effort level. Now I have a positive test result for Candida in my gut I can't eat any of those things you mentioned at all, (not even bananas - I can't eat any fruit at the moment) as they are all too sugary, so I have to reply on whole grain cereals and potatoes for carbs at home and potatoes (chips and crisps usually, unfortunately) whilst out on rides, as most cafes and pubs don't do wheat-free whole grain pasta or brown rice, and nearly everything has either sugars in it, citric acid (in sauces) or yeast..... so chips or baked potato is about my lot. Worse on audaxes as you are meant to use only the commercial controls. On the last audax, I did a very hilly (with Altitude points) 200km, I got to the first control as it was opening and so they had no hot food at all and only had junk - sweet biscuits, chocolate and cakes. I couldn't eat anything there but they found a packet of ready salted crisps in their stock room for me, so I relied on those till I got to the other cafe control on the ride - a very late lunch of egg and chips. Still one of my best times ever for that hilly event though! Third back to HQ and feeling great, instead of, as in past events, half way down the feild and looking vastly-bloated, feeling sick and with runny bottom syndrome (when I used to eat bread and sugary crap (and dried fruit and 'nanas) during the rides).
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    I've lost 5.5st and 8 inches from my waist the last year through cycling Ruth, I can PM you details if you're interested ?

I'd probably agree on the eating little often during long bike rides, especially if it's a hard ride. I'd hate to think how my stomach would cope with digesting a large amount of food while my body was trying to divert most of it's energy into my legs.
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    Ste_S wrote:
    I've lost 5.5st and 8 inches from my waist the last year through cycling Ruth, I can PM you details if you're interested ?

I'd probably agree on the eating little often during long bike rides, especially if it's a hard ride. I'd hate to think how my stomach would cope with digesting a large amount of food while my body was trying to divert most of it's energy into my legs.

Hey Ste_S, I'm very interested in how you did that, I'm struggling to lose at the moment and I'm cycling a lot..... :?:
  • BeaconRuth
    Ste_S wrote:
    Thanks, Ste_S, but I know significant weight-loss can be achieved. It's the fact that Chirg is not trying to lose weight - and would rather not be losing it - that is of real interest. Most people would be feeling very hungry if they were riding as much as Chirg, and would therefore eat to compensate - but Chirg gives the impression of having no special appetite, despite an enormous increase in cycling volume.

Ruth
    www.rutheyles.co.uk/
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    Max_Man wrote:
    Ste_S wrote:

Hey Ste_S, I'm very interested in how you did that, I'm struggling to lose at the moment and I'm cycling a lot..... :?:

Define 'cycling a lot'. Work out 8 kCal / minute cycling at a decent pace and it takes 7.5 hours to burn off 1lb of fat. You need to put the work in, eat a balanced diet and not give up ! Good luck from somebody else at the start of a lot of hard work
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Max_Man wrote:
    Ste_S wrote:

Started with 123miles a month in June last year, just taking it easy and having plenty of rest days. Slowly increased the mileage month on month to my current 560ish miles. Eat a balanced diet. If anything I probably eat more than I did then, but just less junk.

Good luck !

Typical week days food (goes out the window on a saturday :wink: )

Bowel of Oats with skimmed milk
    2 x Banana
    Apple
    Sandwich
    Bag of Snack a Jacks
    Veggie Sausages and vegetables
    Fresh fruit and ice cream
    Chunk of Chocolate
    Rough Oat Cake with Marmite
    Various Juices and Coffee throughout the day.
  • Chirg
    I eat okay food (no chocolate, cakes or chips), but definitely have some unheallthy eating habits! Yesterday had a salad for lunch, had not yet eaten dinner, drank three pints ran up a flight of stairs and passed out at the top. Three pints for me is okay I wasn't drunk, I did have a headache and felt clammy. Been to A&E as I smacked my head quite badly and they have given me a stern talking too. They say it was my blood sugar levels and my problem is not eating regularly enough (symptions include headaches and claminess). Only been eating two meals a day and at irregular times plus suddenly putting my body under more strain has sent my metabolism into overdrive. The alcohol also lowers the blood sugar as well which I never realised.

Ruth what I used to eat a day as it is a bad example and not to be followed, but I'm 75kg at 181cm. Haven't lost much weight, but my stomach has gone. I am now going to follow the advice posted above plus eat at least four times a day. Tomorrow's shopping list contains breakfast item, smoothie ingredients, some proper carbohydrate sports bars and fig rolls.

No long ride for me this weekend and have to slow down on the commutes for the next few days until I am fit :(

I have also been invited both lunch and dinner both tomorrow and Sunday by different friends since it happened and had a massive lecture about eating disorders from another. I think that they think I am a closet anorexic but its definitely not a want to get thinner my only want is to cycle more!
  • BeaconRuth
    Chirg wrote:
    Only been eating two meals a day and at irregular times plus suddenly putting my body under more strain has sent my metabolism into overdrive.
    Well I'm glad I asked whether your diet is 'normal'. It clearly isn't (or wasn't). You can't do the mileage you're doing on two meals a day! It sounds as though you've had a nasty wake-up call, but do take it as a lesson learned. You MUST eat plenty of food - and regularly - to support a big 'cycling habit'! :wink:

Ruth
    www.rutheyles.co.uk/