Help me please

purplemad
purplemad Posts: 86
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Right so I have some questions.

1) so how do you take out your bottle out of it's cage and put it back in again without a) falling off your bike and b) dropping your bottle when trying to put it back in again? Yesterday I went out for a ride, and I really struggle to take the bottle out of the cage, but I am getting better at it, is there a knack to it? Then when I tried put the bottle back I managed to drop it and then rode over the bottle!!!! Luckily I managed to stay on my bike, but the bottle was dented, it's still useable though.

2) which pedal are you supposed to unclip first. I have heard loads of people saying that it's the bottom pedal, but I was at work the other day talking about this with someone at work and they said people were having me on. Is it the bottom pedal or the top pedal or is it just a matter of preference?

I am a real newbie to this road cycling malarky, but I love it so far and want to get even better.

I know I have more questions, but I can't think of them all at the moment. (I am working today so I may not be able to answer any replies until much later)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    1. Taking a bottle in and out just comes with practice, I've only ever dropped my bottle once and that was stupidity rather than anything else. I personally stop pedalling when i want to remove or replace my bottle, i also always reach down with the same arm (can't remember which one its a natural movement for me now...)

2. Unclip whichever foot you want to put down on the ground, i always like to stand on my left as i have more power pushing away with my right leg on the first stroke. So whichever leg is your lead leg is the one to leave clipped in. It is completely down to personal preference.
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    It's just a knack, you will soon get used to it and be able to remove/replace bottles without looking. If you are riding in a group/race though it is sensible to leave a bit more room (at least a foot, more if you're not confident) between your front wheel and the rear of the rider in front.

Whatever works for you is the correct way, ignore anybody who tells you you are doing it wrong.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • Thanks for that, yeah I do tend to stop pedalling when I put it in, still didn't stop me dropping it!!!! And I find it's easier to do with my right. Weirldy I feel more comfortable unclipping my left foot first when cycling along, but I think when I start out I tend to clip my left foot in and then go from there.
  • herbie12
    herbie12 Posts: 41
    1. Practice I'm afraid... although some bottle / cage combinations are easier than others... Just remember though, to be like to true professional you need to throw the bottle at passing pedestrians when you've finished it..

2. Ok, you've just had me pedaling my legs under my desk and imaginary unclipping for the past couple of minutes (although fortunately I don't think anyone noticed)... I unclip whichever I need to first, usually a few metres before I think I might need to stop.. I'm not sure it's ever a conscious effort to unclip at the top or bottom part of the stroke.. I wouldn't worry about it - provided you stay upright when you're stationary then I can't see why it would matter.
  • spasypaddy
    when at a set of lights or waiting to go you should always have the pedal you make your first stroke with up so you can push straight down. It makes alot more sense to then keep this foot clipped in. But again if you are getting off the line quick enough dont change what you do!
  • Garybee wrote:
    It's just a knack, you will soon get used to it and be able to remove/replace bottles without looking. If you are riding in a group/race though it is sensible to leave a bit more room (at least a foot, more if you're not confident) between your front wheel and the rear of the rider in front.

I have only cycled once with a group and I was definately more than a foot away from the rider in front of me :lol: I tried cycling with just one other person after the group ride, and he said to follow him closey, I did my best, and it wasn't a speed thing that stopped me, I am not used to being like that.
  • Herbie12 wrote:
    1. Practice I'm afraid... although some bottle / cage combinations are easier than others... Just remember though, to be like to true professional you need to throw the bottle at passing pedestrians when you've finished it..

2. Ok, you've just had me pedaling my legs under my desk and imaginary unclipping for the past couple of minutes (although fortunately I don't think anyone noticed)... I unclip whichever I need to first, usually a few metres before I think I might need to stop.. I'm not sure it's ever a conscious effort to unclip at the top or bottom part of the stroke.. I wouldn't worry about it - provided you stay upright when you're stationary then I can't see why it would matter.

I am laughing out load here, my colleague probably wonders what is going on. What serioiusly throw away a bottle I paid £1.79 for????? And pedalling under the desk I like that.
  • Thanks spasypaddy.

And thanks to everyone else, it's great to know these things will come.

Right so what is the done thing for cars that pass too close to you or pass you on corners?
  • I guess practice, practie, practice! what type of bottle are you using, metal or plastic ? I use two plastic 'SIS' ones, they will have more 'give' in them when putting in and out. different designs of bottle cages can make a diference in ease of use.
    in relation to pedals , i dont even think about it, I unclip when needed with out thnking about it, with time and use it will happen naturally. I use Look Keo ones at the mo.
  • spasypaddy
    What serioiusly throw away a bottle I paid £1.79 for?????
    thats what the pros do as its less weight on their bike, it was a joke.
    Right so what is the done thing for cars that pass too close to you or pass you on corners?
    i personally just ignore them, or if im in a filthy mood give them the finger. But its probably not worth the hassle. The other day someone pulled out in front of me (in a mini transit van) as i was doing 25mph so i gave him the finger i saw in his side mirror he gave me the finger as well and then slammed on his brakes to scare me. I slowed down and let him go. Its just not worth the extra stress sometimes.
  • I use a plastic one, the one that came with my bike the bit you drink through doesn't stay out and it's a faff trying to drink out of it, so I bought a cheap plastic one from a cheap sports shop and it's much better, and it has some give in it, well it gave when my rear wheel went over it.

Yesterday was only my 4th ride on my bike with these pedals, I haven't fallen off yet, but I do say yet in that I think it will be inevitable. probably when I am a bit more used to them and so get a bit cocky using them if that makes sense
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    purplemad wrote:

If you're approaching any point on a road where there isn't enough room for a car to safely pass it is often safer to ride further out into the road. This takes the decision of whether or not to wait away from the driver. Make sure you look over your shoulder first and move out smoothly though.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    What serioiusly throw away a bottle I paid £1.79 for?????
    thats what the pros do as its less weight on their bike, it was a joke.

I think the best thing to lose weight on my bike is for me to shift some of my lard!!! My reply was a joke too :D .

I wish I could do 25mph, only ever going downhill at the moment :lol:
  • Cheers Gary
  • spasypaddy
    the one that came with my bike the bit you drink through doesn't stay out
    thats what teeth are for!
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    I tend to unclip my left foot as this means your bike is leaning towards the pavement and away from the traffic. Tho i am actively trying to mix it up so that ican unclip both which is more useful on the mountain bike.

On roads, i tend to cycle a good distance away from the kerb, enough so that a car can't just drive straight past me and they have to think about pulling out slightly, but not so much that it's impossible for them to pass. Any junctions i position myself in the centre of the lane so they have to stay behind me. Started doing this all the time when despite the fact that i was turning left at a roundabout a driver decided they could overtake me and all round the long bend they were creeping closer and closer. EEK!
  • spasypaddy
    have a look at this thread there are some really good ideas and advice on how to ride in traffic and with cars. Its basically common sense
  • Cheers for all the help and tips. Shall take on board what has been said and get on with upping my mileage :)
  • Not pushing the bung back in the top of the bottle helps sliding the bottle back in to place as it's more squishy, then you can push it in with your finger when it's fully engaged.
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    edited August 2007
    There is a racing technique where you reach down, with the palm of hand facing forwards and take hold of the bottle on the rear-facing side, so that the neck of the bottle is about level with your wrist.

Then you can pull the bottle out and drink from it in one efficient movement and put it back without having to re-position the bottle in your hand, or indeed (with practice) without having look down to see where it needs to go.
  • Right so what is the done thing for cars that pass too close to you or pass you on corners?

I remember reading about a cyclist that got fed up with cars overtaking too close to him.

He got some realistic looking plastic barbed wire and suspended it off a stick about a foot to the side of his bike.

The cars gave him a wide berth.

It seems they didn’t mind knocking him off his bike but they were afraid of getting their cars scratched.

I know I'm alright, the voices tell me so.
    it's great to know these things will come.
    After passing the test how to remove and replace your water bottle successfully, you move on to the advanced cyclist's test - how to open a power bar while underway.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Garybee wrote:
    purplemad wrote:

If you're approaching any point on a road where there isn't enough room for a car to safely pass it is often safer to ride further out into the road. This takes the decision of whether or not to wait away from the driver.
    I find this can work, but not always - some drivers still try to squeeze past and then they are even closer than they might have been. Only for the brave!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i personally just ignore them, or if im in a filthy mood give them the finger. But its probably not worth the hassle. The other day someone pulled out in front of me (in a mini transit van) as i was doing 25mph so i gave him the finger i saw in his side mirror he gave me the finger as well and then slammed on his brakes to scare me. I slowed down and let him go. Its just not worth the extra stress sometimes.
    That's the problem with fingers and V-signs, they create more problems. So I gave up such gestures and nowadays I usually let it go.

Though very occasionally I might make some gesture, like wave my arm high in exasperated style, outstretch my arm as if pushing an object away, or do an elbow gesture as if to nudge someone in the ribs, but I'd guess they mainly satisfy me and that few drivers notice them.

Though having said that, once a driver did slow down and try and excuse himself after I did the elbow gesture, so he must have seen it. We had a conversation through his passenger side window and his excuse was that he had to come right close (side mirror brushed against me) because opposing traffic prevented him moving further out!
  • spasypaddy
    i do do alot of just throwing my arms wide, as if asking what the fuck!?
  • ricadus wrote:
    There is a racing technique where you reach down, with the palm of hand facing forwards and take hold of the bottle on the rear-facing side, so that the neck of the bottle is about level with your wrist.

Then you can pull the bottle out and drink from it in one efficient movement and put it back without having to re-position the bottle in your hand, or indeed (with practice) without having look down to see where it needs to go.
    OK so I am sat at work trying to work out how you mean, this must have looked very funny!!!

Oh well I shall have to buy some power bars and try that next week!!!

Thanks all for everything, I really do appreciate it, even if I can't reply to every reply that is put.
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    I always unclip at the top so that I can push down on the other pedal and hold everything still and rigid.

Touch wood I've never fallen off and I've been using clipless pedals since they first came out.
  • Cheers Blackhands

Why are they called clipless pedals, I mean I know it's because they aren't toe clips, but you 'clip and unclip' into and out of them????? Ok I shall try and shut up now.