Hair removal cream

Crapaud
Crapaud Posts: 2,483
edited August 2007 in The bottom bracket
Polls seem to be the new black here, so help me decide:

This afternoon I came into posession of a bottle of Veet (formerly known as Immac) which is currently sitting on the side of the bath next to a bottle of Muc Off. Despite a lot of threads over the years about leg shaving, I've never been remotely interested. Now that I've got a bottle of the stuff I'm itching to try it, but don't want to, but do, but don't...etc. So, in ten days time I'll abide by the wishes of the forum and go hairless (or not).

So, what should I do?
A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill

Comments

• overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    Dude... what's a bottle of Muc Off doing in the bathroom?

...enquiring minds wanna know.
  • Noooooooo don't use veet!

Shave your legs, if you don't like it - it grows back. But don't use the evil that is veet. Its absolutely horrible stuff and is about as much use as shaving with a blunt razor.
    Sweat saves blood.
    Erwin Rommel
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    overmars wrote:

My first thoughts too!! :D

And if there are scented candles any where near , then I am getting really worried.

I know I love my bikes,,but there are limits :lol:

george
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    What's wrong with Veet? I've yet to try it but I'm extremely tempted to because after two or three days of shaved legs they are feeling rather stubbley and I want them feeling like a million dollars!! :D

I presume there will be some sort of pain though but it can't be any worse than using a Remington Fuzzaway!! :lol:
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • lateralus
    lateralus Posts: 309
    never tried it, but look at it this way - think how effective that hair is at blunting razor blades. Must be some pretty serious chemicals to get the same effect as a sharp bit of steel. That's gotta hurt :?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i stole a bottle of Veet from a house party once to test, it works absolute wonders. Don't leave it on too long otherwise it can burn. I only did a small patch on my arm just to see how it works and it stayed soooo smooth for ages i would say at least a month! I dont shave my legs and have no intention of but if i did i would Veet.

It is awesome stuff, highly recommended
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    i used the elite har removal stuff (could nt bring myself to buy "girly" veet) and yeah it burned a bit, but not for long

and stayed smooth for about a week when a light fuzz grew back - NOT stubble..

thinking of trying it again on..ehherm...delicate areas to prevent chaffage
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Crapaud
    Well, so far it's neck and neck between all and nothing with Claudia coming up strongly behind (I knew I should have skewed the poll, dammit :roll: ). Still, there's plenty of time to get your votes in.
    overmars wrote:

You write it as though it's a perversion (it isn't, is it?). I've live in a small flat (appartment, not inner tube) and the neighbours don't like the dirty oily patch in the garden, so, I clean the bikes in the bath. There's not a lot of room so the Muc Off just happened to stay where it was. Honest!

In the event that I have to go through with this, some hints and tips from the ladies of the forum wouldn't go amiss.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    Why Claudia?

What wrong with one of the girls from Cake Stop?

george
  • Crapaud
    Jibi wrote:
    Why Claudia?
    Why not Claudia? I like her despite her extremely prominent pair of nostrils. I'm open to suggestions though.

After looking at the picture of Vikki Pendleton on your 'Cake Shop" thread, Jibi, I was wondering, if the forum willed it, whether she would submitt to a good scrubbing with astringent or a rough towelling maybe. It being the will of the people I think she'd be morally obliged to. :D
    Jibi wrote:
    What wrong with one of the girls from Cake Stop?
    Now, why didn't I think of that? Doh! You could be on to something there, Jibi. If there was enough interest Bikeradar & Future could, maybe, hopefully sponsor a lime jelly pit where they could fight it out for the privelege. :P :twisted:

Come on girls, any takers - whose first?

I just know I'm going to get moderated sometime soon.
  • Rob Sallnow
    ddraver wrote:
    and stayed smooth for about a week when a light fuzz grew back - NOT stubble..

A week!!?? hardly worth the hassle then! :(
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    well, i feel you need some input from a female, so here goes:

don't bother with veet. messy stuff, never does the job right unless you leave it on double the time your supposed to and then it leaves a rash. (patch tests don't count bcoz for some reason it always works on 1 inch of skin) don't believe that crap that it gets all the hair even under the skin (yea, maybe... about 1/2 mm which isn't worth it). and you always end up shaving the leftovers after. only way to get the whole hair is to rip it out.

so your reasonable choices are:

shave (quick and easy) or wax or buy an epilator (results last longer but you have to suffer pain).

if you've never done either... i'd wax or epilate because if you decide that shaving's not for you, you will have to put up with stubble until you grow it long enough again to wax. probably not so bad for a man, but i can't stand the growing out stage. waxing is better than epilating because it's faster.

note: leg shaving does not make hair grow back "thicker", it's a myth, it just grows back with a blunt edge which makes if feel thicker. waxing makes a new hair grow back with no blunt edge hence it's softer. Waxing and epilating long enough discourages the growth of hair, so in a few years you will have less hair. and it only REALLY hurts the first time. after that it becomes more and more bearable the more you do it. i promise.

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • Rob Sallnow
    Buggi wrote:
    waxing is better than epilating because it's faster......

waxing makes a new hair grow back with no blunt edge hence it's softer. Waxing and epilating long enough discourages the growth of hair, so in a few years you will have less hair. and it only REALLY hurts the first time. after that it becomes more and more bearable the more you do it. i promise.

Splendid. And what hair length is best for waxing?
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    the longer the better i think but you need at least 1/2 cm preferably 1cm at least for waxing.

Epilating... you can get them out when they are about 2mm long but it takes longer. with waxing it's a bit quicker.

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • I'm with Buggi on this one. Veet is nasty stuff and it doesn't even work that well on me.

I wax and epilate. I started off getting a professional leg wax but now I have a heated wax system type thing and I do it myself. When I can't be bothered getting out the wax and heating it up etc, I epilate, but that does hurt a lot more IMO. And the machine is noisy.

Have been waxing since I was 18, about 7 years now, and the growth is much less than it was, am waxing the buggers into submission!
  • ddraver
    boots bikini hair removal cream is good an does nt burn delicate places..plus has a lovely cream for afterwards too

but buying it is one of the most humiliating things a man can do
    - @ddraver
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    My leg hair is too much for a razor to cope with. So I have to use veet to get started. Unfortuntely I am a lazy bastard so cant be bothered shaving so I end up leaving it about a month and have to start all over again :oops:

I am a bit surprised at claims that it doesn't grow back as thick though. It grows in as spiky as if I've shaved and after a couple of days too :shock:
    I have pain!
  • HJ1976
    HJ1976 Posts: 205
    No way on earth you would get an epilator near me....shave for quick short term solution, veet/nair for mid term 'quick' solution, or salon wax for longer term/ holiday/ special occasions.
    Pain is subjective....try giving birth with out an epidural!!
  • Crapaud
    Buggi wrote:
    don't bother with veet. messy stuff, never does the job right unless you leave it on double the time your supposed to and then it leaves a rash
    Well, that's the 'undercarriage' ruled out, forum vote or not! Other methods of hair removal have been ruled out as the whole reason for this poll is because I've aquired a bottle of Veet.

Votes are currently:
      Sell it in
    readers ads – 6%
    Don’t do it and Claudia are neck and neck with 18%
    Legs are running at 25%
    And, way out in front, it’s the Full Monty on 31% (sadists!)

Question: will a 400ml bottle be enough to do 'the lot'?

Only 6 days 'till voting closes, so get those votes in folks!!!
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    I always assumed leg and 'elsewhere' shaving for cyclists was multi-purpose in the following order:

1) reduces chafing / ingrowing hairs in the lycra / thigh boundary area
    2) reduces trapping / pulling in the padding area
    3) some form of initiation akin to murdering a gypsy when you join the hells angels

Surely there is no 'performance' reason for shaving your legs for most people ? I have heard from friends of friends on other forums (don't ask) that no hair around yr nether regions is supposed to make yr tackle look bigger and it has other practical benefits (really - DON'T ASK) but unless yr preferred cycling route includes well known public toilets, this can't be a reason can it ?
  • ddraver
    abdoloutly not......bikini line/area cream only for undercarrige!
    - @ddraver
  • Rob Sallnow
    nickcuk wrote:
    I always assumed leg and 'elsewhere' shaving for cyclists was multi-purpose in the following order:

1) reduces chafing / ingrowing hairs in the lycra / thigh boundary area
    2) reduces trapping / pulling in the padding area
    3) some form of initiation akin to murdering a gypsy when you join the hells angels

Surely there is no 'performance' reason for shaving your legs for most people ? I have heard from friends of friends on other forums (don't ask) that no hair around yr nether regions is supposed to make yr tackle look bigger and it has other practical benefits (really - DON'T ASK) but unless yr preferred cycling route includes well known public toilets, this can't be a reason can it ?

No...it's because it looks good. And if you are a pro it aids massage.
  • ddraver
    not sure it looks good.........was never a (quasi) fan of the hairless men

Pantani, Colena etc no.....hetfield, may, big foot...oh yeah

(I'm purifying myself tomorrow.....no more gsy talk and arse creaming for me)
    - @ddraver
  • Crapaud
    Poll update:
      Other (elaborate) 4%
      Put it for sale in readers ads 4%
      None of the above - don't do it! 16%
      Claudia Schiffer and Legs 20%
      All of the above 33%I've no idea what other means, but there're only 24 hour until the poll closes, so if I've to epilate (thanks for the correction Buggi) Bigfoot, say, I need to know so that I can capture him (her).

The big event will take place on Monday when, according to the bottle, I'll 'feel desireable'. (NB it doesn't say that I will be desireable :cry: )
    • nickcuk
      nickcuk Posts: 275
      Crapaud wrote:
      Poll update:
        The big event will take place on Monday when, according to the bottle, I'll 'feel desireable'. (NB it doesn't say that I will
      be desireable :cry: )

or deriseable
    • Crapaud
      nickcuk wrote:
      or deriseable
      :D
      That might be closer to the truth, though I had my head shaved yesterday, in preparation, and at least 3 young ladies of my aquaintance have said that it really suits me.
      One couldn't help herself and kept running her hands over my scalp. So, next week could be interesting.
    • Crapaud
      Well, that's one leg done! It's still a bit tingly and it hasn't taken all the hair off, but enough. It left some very short, fine stubble in places.The leg looks very odd in a, somehow, deformed kind of way - not sure how to describe it. I don't feel any more desirable. Maybe that'll change when I do the other one. Think I'll stop there for a bit and see how the different legs feel.

More later....
    • Crapaud
      That's the evil deed done; feels very odd. There wasn't enough Veet to do everything, but I've done what I could. It's very cooling, but I feel naked under my clothes, somehow slippy and a bit kinky :shock: (but not in a bad way).

The process itelf was OK, but, as has been said, very messy. I don't like the smell of the stuff and it seems to linger. I doubt I'll be doing it again.

I don't feel that desireable :cry: more like a freak.
    • I know exactly what you mean about the weird look feeling - i had the same thing when I frist shaved my legs. I have got used to them now, and like the way thay not having hair shows up all the muscle, and have had many comments from my female, and some of my male friends, about how muscular and powerful my legs look sticking out of lyrca.

I definitely like the look and the feel - bare legs in the wind when cycling is great :D Makes putting suncream on so much easier (and I'm very pale so need it a lot!) When it rains my legs just get covered in grey cr*p off the roads, without all the nasty clumping of leg hair. How much leg stroking I recieve when women find out I shave them :oops: 8)

Downsides include seemingly constant shaving, coupled with the fact my leg hair grows at least twice the speed of any of my female friends. I have very sensitive leg skin, and need to shave down first, then up, in order to avoid stubble rash :evil: so every time I shave my legs, its actually doing it twice.
      Sweat saves blood.
      Erwin Rommel
    • UncleFred
      UncleFred Posts: 227
      I bought some man wax a while back, it's made by a company called Moom and was recommended to me by one of my friends who bats for the other side.

I haven't actually had the balls to try it out yet though....