Wifey's needs cosmetic help with her new bike

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Mrs Postie decided she needed a new bike, when she saw some sale bargins.
After some research, inc a ramdom call to a (L)BS Chelmer cycles, who was very helpful even though the guy is about 300 miles away (don't ask), she finally settled on a Cannondale R1000.

Being very ickle, herself, she is now the proud owner of the bike which is 44 cm with everything else scaled down 650 wheels shortest crank arm etc etc. It looks like it's straight out of a Christmas cracker :) .
The only problem is it has 'handmade in the USA' painted in huge letters all across both sides of the rear forks, is there anyway to remove/lessen this garish American overstatement, without ruining the rest of the paintwork?

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    hmm - it;ll be tough as it will be under the lacquer so can't be removed!

You might try some of the white reflective tape - could cover it kind-of-invisble-ish during the day and a useful safety addition at night.
  • Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    I feel your pain, don't think I'd want that splashed down the side of my bike either!

I'd tend to agree that it's probably going to be easier to cover it than remove it. What colour's the bike? There's black scotchlite tape available which might be a nice alternative to the lighter coloured stuff.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    put one of those carbon protective patches over the top...gives it the carbon look too
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Shadowduck wrote:
    There's black scotchlite tape available which might be a nice alternative to the lighter coloured stuff.

Then he could pretend that his wife's Chris Boardman. :lol:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • herbie12
    herbie12 Posts: 41
    Completely off topic, but I got my Cannondale from Chelmer which was my LBS at the time... John (the guy that owns the road bike side) is a top bloke...

Must pop back in there when I'm next passing by!
  • I know what you mean, my Trek 5200 has 'handmade in the usa' on the rear chain stay, I decieded i would have to live with it as doing anything would mess up the look of the bike.
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    How about a nice big Union Jack right in the middle of it.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    I have to say I quite like it.
    Every winner has scars.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ive got it on my r400 and i wouldnt say i liked it but i would say i hated it. Its just the way its designed so ive got used to it. I am getting a Bianchi soon so its not something i have to live with for much longer!
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Thanks for that Crapaud :lol:

Re Chelmer.
    Mrs Postie was trying to get a decent bike from all the LBS's in Sussex, but alas ended up @ Evans Brighton, (recieveing seriously sh*tty sevice for someone spending over a grand).

Anyway, prior to this, I found her going through Cycling Weekly getting Chelmer's number & called the guy up, to talk c/dales.
    Some 5 mins later 'Boycie' had been fantastic, the wife made it clear, from the outset, she wouldn't be buying a bike from hm, but that still didn't deter him from being really helpful to the good lady.

Unlike Evans Gatwick who still tried to sell her a Scott Contessa even though her feet couldn't touch the pedals when at 6 o'clock
  • im not sure how you can get that off, but i just got some big bridgestone F1 stickers and totally covered all the crap that was on my bike:p