Presta Converter

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Where can i get a converter to keep in my saddle bag so if i have a puncture i can use a garage to get a decent pressure in my tires?

SJS have them but im not paying more for postage than the cost of the item!

Comments

• Cathryn
    Cathryn Posts: 176
    Edinburgh Bike Shop have them. I have one and it's changed my world, seriously. I've never been able to manage presta valves, but these little gadgets are amazing... I feel so much more confident!!
  • Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    Are there any particular advantages to Presta valves? I've made a point of sticking with Schrader for this very reason but I've often wondered why Presta are still so popular.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Cathryn
    Cathryn Posts: 176
    I've never seen any advantage on prestas...if anything I think they're a disadvantage. I've broken so many valves by being a bit rough with them and then had to change the entire inner tube!! I also, as I said, find them impossible to connect to pumps, and even the husband, who's handier than I am, struggles.

But both my bikes were born with them, so I was lumbered. But as I said, that little gadget has turned my world around!!!!
  • Yes, I'm coming from a world where all tubes are Schraders, running at 120psi plus, and am very used to those. Now on Prestas and both me and my track pump are struggling a bit... New pump on the way which will hopefully get things back under control, but I would have switched to Schraders all round if I could have found any the right size.
  • Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    Thanks Cathryn. Hopefully I'm not going to start a Presta vs Schrader flamewar by asking this, but if Presta valves are more fiddly, more fragile and less convenient (because you can't use a standard air-line) - why do they still exist?
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • bikerbill
    bikerbill Posts: 269
    If you get one, make sure it's got an O ring in it to act as a seal. They aint much good without one.

Bill
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    A stoopid question, but I assume you only need to buy one of these, and then just move them around the tyres as you need to inflate them?

You don't need to permanently 'install' them on each tyre?

What's the method of inflating a presta valve, have to have a go for the first time this weekend - you need to loosen the bit under the cap first, do you just unscrew it as far as it will go?

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    You're correct they are removeable. I have never got on with them though and would suggest that you would be better off with a pump with a presta head. To inflate these valves you need to unscrew the knurled bit at the top as far as it will go. This allows the valve to be opened by the air pressure in the pump/hose.

If you have had your tyres up to a high pressure (100psi plus) you may find you have to "unseat" the valve before you attatch the pump by tapping the knurled bit and releasing a bit of air.

When you have finished remember to do up the knurled bit, you will have to remove the adaptor to do this, another reason why they are annoying.

Gaz

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks Gaz,

I took delivery of a Blackburn Airtower 4 this week, so am hoping this will handle the presta valves fine, and there won;t be a need for the converter!

Also bought a Blackburn Airstik, for when am out and about, and again, even more so, hope this one will work ok.

Many thanks

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • spasypaddy
    i have a pump with a presta head, this is just an emergency for when i get a puncture out on the road i can get enough air in to get me to a garage with my hand pump and then fill up properly with a machine! It shall be kept in my saddlebag until it is needed and then it can go between tires as only one tire can be pumped at a time

for the pound it cost to buy one off ebay i think its definitely something worthwhile keeping in a saddlebag for emergencies!
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    spasypaddy wrote:
    for the pound it cost to buy one off ebay i think its definitely something worthwhile keeping in a saddlebag for emergencies!

I see now, as you say it's well worth keeping one in your bag for that reason as it's only a tiny thing. In fact i'll probably start doing the same.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • spasypaddy
    i used the ebay link on this thread to purchase mine
  • daniel_b
    Oh bugger it, I've bought one as well now :lol:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Chris5150
    Chris5150 Posts: 107
    oh bugger it 2, Ive just bought one too...ripped a valve right out of the inner tube at weekend trying ot get the pump off the valve, so anything to make life easier is good!