Long Ride question

jhon
jhon Posts: 37
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
I have been doing some solo long rides recently (long for me at least...) and one of the things I learned first time round was punctures do happen... and you need to be prepared for it.

Anyway, so I have my spare tubes and kit etc. More recently, I have found it annoying to have to carry a backpack with me when I ride (carrying drinks, energy bar, spares, pump, etc).

I now have one of those small bag attached to the seatpost which can carry all of these stuff for me while the drinks, energy bar I can carry on me.

One thing I can't work out though... is WHERE do I put the sodding pump?

Comments

• heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Have you got a jersey? If its small stick it in one of the back pockets. Should be fine in there. If its not you need some way to secure it to the frame.
  • jhon
    yeah i have a jersey. I suppose the answer is to get a smaller pump then... I have a decent size one.... there's no way to tell what PSI I'll be on then?
  • i bought one of those c02 cannister pumps, its small enough to fit in the saddel bag.

i also bought an innovations pump which attached to the frame via the bottle cage screws.
    its actually lighter than the 2 c02 cannisters and doesnt get in the way.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Get a little topeak pocket rocket or something similar for about £15. Most small pumps will come with a little device for attaching it to the frame. Don't worry about PSI. If you need to use it when out on a ride just pump it until the tyre is hard. If you are worried about PSI then you can check and adjust it on your bigger pump when you get home. Personally I never go by PSI. I just squeeze the tyre and pump it up a bit if it feels soft. No great science and it works for me.
  • After much faffing, breaking of mini-pumps, riding home on not fully inflated tyres and standing about in the cold, dark and rain cursing I was recommended to get one of these fellas:
    http://www.cyclaire.com/

And they are brilliant. Gets you up to proper psi in about 3 minutes of pumping. It's not as easy as they make out but it is possible to get 120psi in there and in short time. It will fit in a jersey pocket just about or it comes in a bag that will attach to the frame and be out of your way. Great device.
  • jhon
    those pocket rockets looks perfect. 115grm!!

will try that this sat morning...cheers!
  • If you have aq long pump, will it fit under the cross bar? If so, hold it in place with a couple of velcro straps (even a few turns of insulating tape).

Better solution is a smaller pump that includes a holder that uses the bottle cage fixings. Pump AND bottle cage.

May already have been covered above but time is short at work today so can't read it all.
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    I bought one of those Topeak Micro rockets mainly so I could fit it comfortably in the jersey. Wiggle claims it can pump up to 160psi but I doubt it and touch wood I've never had to use it to find out.
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    Here is where I put my pump

CIMG0606.JPG

A Serfas wihich works with presta and schrader valves, without changing anything, magic.

george
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    jibi wrote:

CIMG0606.JPG

A Serfas wihich works with presta and schrader valves, without changing anything, magic.

george

I put mine in exactly the same place, with the same drink bottle, and it even looks like the same drink!!
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    hammerite wrote:
    jibi wrote:

CIMG0606.JPG

george

I put mine in exactly the same place, with the same drink bottle, and it even looks like the same drink!!

Have you looked outside to make sure your bike's still there?

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    I do see a lot of riders with small pumps in their rear jersey pockets , but if you compromise on the pump it might not be capable of giving you the tyre pressure that you require.
    My best pump has a bracket which enables it to be fixed on to the frame on one of the bottle cage mountings or by use of two 'cable ties'
    You can also get reusable cable ties these days.
    I have used these to fix my pump to my pannier when using both bottle cage mounts for their intended purpose.

Snake
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Training bike/winter bike - Full length frame fitting pump.

Race bike - CO2 inflator

This is what i use, i carry loads of junk on my training bike to keep it heavy but also make sure that it is set up with the saddle/bars etc. in exactly the same position as my race bike. This way i get extra training in on a club run as i have to work harder than everyone else.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    get a presta to schrader converter for your saddle bag they only cost a quid off ebay and then you can use your hand pump as much as you want and then when you spot a garage you can stop off and use their air machine!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I bought this one here:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ick%20Pump

haven't fitted it yet, but I assume it will be able to fit under the existing bottle cage, otherwise I will just use the spare one, that I don;t currently use.

Allegedly it will manage 120PSI :roll:

80 or above witll do as a get you home measure though I hope.

I also bought one of those converters as a handy inexpensive device to stick in your pocket.

On the CTC forum people seem to whinge about problems with inflating/ripping the valves off the presta valves - is this the general concensus, or are they ok most of the time?

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • almost all pumps come with an under-bottle cage mounting bracket, i've never seen one that doesn't.
    I've once snapped a presta valve off a tube but I was being a bit careless thinking it was indestructible.
    As long as you're aware it can happen, and try to keep the valve perpendicular to the tangent of the rim and try not to wobble the head of the pump around too much, you should be ok.
    What do you mean by "one of those converters as a handy inexpensive device to stick in your pocket" ??? If you mean presta to schrader, then it will be schrader when it comes, but to convert it to presta you unscrew the valve head, take out a little rubber thing, turn another little rubber thing round the other way, then screw back in the valve head, and it's presta.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    What do you mean by "one of those converters as a handy inexpensive device to stick in your pocket" ??? If you mean presta to schrader, then it will be schrader when it comes, but to convert it to presta you unscrew the valve head, take out a little rubber thing, turn another little rubber thing round the other way, then screw back in the valve head, and it's presta.
    no no, its a little device that you attach to the valve that allows you to use schrader pumps like those found at garages. Its a tiny thing.
    HAVE A LOOK