Riding in the rain

2»

Comments

• Zygite
    Zygite Posts: 142
    My (extensive) experience of crashing bikes shows me this:

In a car crash or other accident you tend to have a Sam Pekinpah moment when everything slows down, your life flashes before your eyes and you ask yourself 'Was that it?' etc etc.

On a bike there are two states - riding and crashed. There is no measurable time between the two. I think it's something to do with quantum physics - a simultaneous leap between two places (here being 'upright' and 'spread-eagled across the carriageway') without passing through any point in the space in between.

Especially where diesel and/or drain covers is concerned. :shock:
    Cycle killer? Qu'est ce que c'est?
  • You could just attach a salt shaker on a long stick to the front of your bike and give it a shake every time you see one - with a bit of luck they'll dissolve before you squash them
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • Zygite
    Zygite Posts: 142
    Not at 30mph they won't. (that's 48kph) :wink:
    Cycle killer? Qu'est ce que c'est?
  • From the svelte Rachel. (Jonesy 124)
    I average around about 30mph on country roads without trying too hard - i find it is a comfortable speed and I can remain in control.

Reminds of two girls about 10yo I saw riding up a hill talking to each other. Riding bikes far too big for them. Never paused to catch breath just rode up the hill and away.

10 minutes later a very big muscular, rugby playing type, cycled up the same hill on a lightweight bike. It just about killed him!

Best demonstration of weight to strength ratio I've ever seen.

I know I'm alright, the voices tell me so.

the putting all ur weight on the outside pedal is my personal best tip ever..that and leaning the bike, not yourself (if you see what i mean)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    One thing that no-one's mentioned yet, that'll be upon us soon, is wet leaves. Avoid! Or you could break a finger just like I did. ( there are no tyres for this)
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Well my problem in the wet around here oh even when it's damp is the fact that the're copious amounts of wait for it Damn SLUGS! :cry: :x Very slippery no matter what tyres and I hate the damn things! Yeuch!! They make my cycling a missery!
    Guess that's good ole country roads for you ! Perhaps I need to invent a slug pellet sprinkler for as I approach them just like the farmers have fe :roll: :shock: rtilizer sprinklers. Oh well !
    Yes, they make a mess of a clean bike, poor squashed things.
    I tried to count them after a recent rain, when they all seemed to be about 2-3 ft away from the road edge, directly in my path, and although now and again there'd be none for 1/4 mile, for the next 1/4 mile there'd then be one every 10 ft!.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    jonesy124 wrote:
    I think that even if one day i did become an amazing cyclist and possibly could stay at 30mph for more than 0.7 seconds, I would get too distracted and crash.

I always look around me, in fields, at cars, clouds etc. 30mph would = one dead rachel :shock:
    I always look around me, in fields, at cars, clouds etc
    Not at men!

I ended up on a traffic island once, having continued in a straight line after being distracted looking at a female.
  • I don't ride road any more, but I used to. Here is what i picked up....

For riding in heavy rain and / or poor visibility, get a high viz plastic tabard type vest which will help keep the rain / stinging off your torso and also make you more visible (car drivers suffer from reduced visibility too).

Choose appropriate rainwear, you will ride more safely if you are warm and comfortable than if you are cold, wet and irritated.

Wear a helmet with a visor, it will keep a lot of the rain off your face.

Look out for a hydrophobic water repellant spay for your eyewear. This is especially important as you need to look / plan further ahead.

Be prepared to stop suddenly for pedestrians, they tend to walk / run with their head down when it is raining.

White lines on the road can be difficult to see in heavy rain.

If you are riding flats, remember that your feet will be more slippery than normal.

Keep your pedalling, steering, braking and gear changes as smooth as possible to avoid unbalancing the bike.

Light up a little earlier than normal.

Choose your tyres with care.

On cold nights / mornings, watch out when going over bridges or overpasses as these will freeze faster than normal roads and you can get ice patches.

Finally, enjoy the ride. Riding wet roads can feel really smooth and quiet, especially if there isn't much traffic noise.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Be prepared to stop suddenly for pedestrians, they tend to walk / run with their head down when it is raining.

The paranoid-one is SO right on this front (and on the others BTW).

The only times I've ever had issues with pedestrians is while riding in the rain at the CBD. The 'classic' setup is traffic isn't moving - cyclists (of course) still are. Pedestron puts head down to cross as quickly as they can and not get their Boss/Armani/whatever too wet.

There was one strip in particular where I'd just dawdle along, because I knew (rain or dry) if the traffic was stopped, pedestrons wouldn't be thinking.

For riding in the wet, think about guards. Look hokey. But once you've had them, you'll never want to take them off.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i cycled even more conservatively than yesterday, well it felt like it anyway even if my average speed isnt too different from normal... and no accidents :D RESULT!!!
  • I had a ride this morning and even if the road was wet, I had no problems, other than the side wind, i still managed a good average speed of little over 20Mph over 20 miles, so I am happy.

Anyone knows much about the Specialized Instinct Helmet, just that I am looking at changing what I have as it is old and no longer comfortable, and I guess I am looking for a happy medium for both MTB and Road.

DC
  • jonesy124
    jonesy124 Posts: 205
    jonesy :
    11mph is good, I can see you riding along with nicole soon :D

are you taking the mick welshman?? I challenge you to a race. The conditions are as follows:

1) You must have rocks in your socks
    2) We do exactly the same roads except i go from A to B and you go from B to A (A must be considerably higher than B)
    3) I am allowed lots of water and energy snacks
    4) You must have been fasting for at least three days prior to the race

Then we'll see who's laughing!! :twisted:
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    As level playing fields go.......
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    knedlicky wrote:
    I ended up on a traffic island once, having continued in a straight line after being distracted looking at a female.

the native fauna can be a significant hazard to shipping, especially during the summer months
    <a>road</a>
  • knedlicky wrote:

the native fauna can be a significant hazard to shipping, especially during the summer months

It should not be allowed... :lol:
  • Chris5150
    Chris5150 Posts: 107
    Thanks Old welshman, ordered up a pair of the conti 4 seasons, lovely job!
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    I have Vittoria Rubinos on my winter bike. They wear well and have reasonable grip too (not as good as a Mich Pro 2 Race but still good enough to race on). Don't bother with Rubino Pros, the only difference is the kevlar bead which is of no importance on a winter/training bike in my opinion.

Gaz

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • I have a 56 mile race on sat and so far all the forecast data suggests rain for the duration - :o( and about 11 C at best. Anyone any ideas how I can keep me specs clear..potato?
  • Stay out of tight traffic where sharp brake response is required. The bike won't react in time. Try to ride on roads you know the potholes as it they are hard to see in the rain.
  • Castellod wrote:
    Anyone knows much about the Specialized Instinct Helmet, just that I am looking at changing what I have as it is old and no longer comfortable, and I guess I am looking for a happy medium for both MTB and Road.

Not sure about that one, but www.cyclesuk.com are doing the excellent Giro Encinal for a knock down price of £ 24.99 including delivery - normally nearer £40 !! It is primarily an XC helmet but would suit road use very well too.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • I have a 56 mile race on sat and so far all the forecast data suggests rain for the duration - :o( and about 11 C at best. Anyone any ideas how I can keep me specs clear..potato?

RainX
  • RedAende
    RedAende Posts: 158
    Try to avoid middle of lane. There is a lot of diesel spilt on our roads and it is very slippy.

Petrol evaporates, diesel doesn't.

Red Aende, Red Spesh Hardrock, Wine Mercian, Rusty Flying Scot
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    As to where to ride in the road-
    You can't say always ride at the edge for fear of diesel-

On country roads (esepcially potholed ones) ride in the middle of your side- this way you'll avoid most of the potholes that can be hard to spot with uneven country roads

In city's and on busy roads stick to the edge, but again keep an eye out for potholes.

So depends on where you are- around here I always go to the middle of the lane to control traffic better and avoid the millions of potholes at the edge of the road.

I've got some Conti- Gatorskins-
    Super hard wearing tyres, that have good puncture protection on them (will get 1 tomorrow tho for saying that :D) And grip well in Wet and Icy conditions.
    They are quite heavy though so not really suitable for racing.

Visors are a good idea but look stupid :D

Wear gloves in the rain!
    Even if it's warm a pair of fingerless gloves will help keep your grip on the bars and brake levers in rain.

Take corners slower, brake more cautiously.

Your brakes can take a few secs to bite, as your rims shed the water before starting to brake properly.

I wear a gilet in summer or warm weather as I boil in a full length coat. A gilet will keep your chest dryish and you'll stay warm. Because it's summer when the weather clears you'll dry off anyway or at least staying warm isn't as much of an issue. Gilets are easier to pack and carry around as well, fitting easily into a jersey pocket.

overshoes- wear to avoid wrecking shoes.
    If your shoes do get wet- stuff em full of newspaper and take out the insoles to dry seperately. Then if they get covered in mud- give them a wipe down with a wetwipe as well.

Can't think of anything else...

Ask if any more Q's.

Happy riding-
    Josh
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson