First proper cycle in the rain

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
This morning was the first time i've taken a road bike out in the rain (i was injured last time!) and when i got in my front wheel was making a hissing noise but wasn't losing air... could it be the tube pushing water out of the rim?

Also i thought my shoes were waterproof... quite clearly not! I need some good quality waterproof overshoes can anyone recommend some?

Comments

• McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    More likely your tyre was forcing water out from underneath it, rather than forcing water out from the wheel rim.

As for water proof overshoes, I find these too cumbersome and would recommend that you purchase a pair of SealSkinz™ waterproof socks instead. They are fantastic (especially the merino wool lined version) and are much easier to wear.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Hi,

I am about to post a message about riding in the rain, having always been riding mountain bikes, I am finding it hard to get comfortable riding in the rain, with a road bike (come off a few times).
    Anyway, on my MTB I use normally sealskin socks when it rain as using an overshoe would not be wise for an MTB, I find that though the shoes are soaked my feet are dry so they are a good buy. My road bike shoes are Specialized, and as overshoes I have been recommended: Gore Bikewear Race Overshoes, they are not very cheap at about £34.00, but I have been told are good, and as the material is Gore-tex, I am sure that hey will not fail you, and can say this having spent almost £200 on a gore-tex jacket, that I can used even if the temperature goes bellow -7C and in torrential rain, even after 3 years (almost 4).

If you buy some overshoes or are directed to some other make etc. I would love to know, as I will have to get some eventually and if you have any good advise, regarding riding in the rain with a road bike, then PLEASE do tell.
    DC
  • McBain_v1 wrote:
    More likely your tyre was forcing water out from underneath it, rather than forcing water out from the wheel rim.

As for water proof overshoes, I find these too cumbersome and would recommend that you purchase a pair of SealSkinz™ waterproof socks instead. They are fantastic (especially the merino wool lined version) and are much easier to wear.

I knew I spelled them incorrectly... Hmm!! anyway glad to see that someone else thinks that the socks are good.

dc
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Not really roady shoes at all, but I commute on wet days in Shimano MT90 boots - they are Gore-Tex lined and they work very well as walking boots too - genuinely dual purpose.
    md6589.jpg
  • spasypaddy
    i came to reply to this thread with bad news, i decked it going round a corner which i had slowed down to. My arm, leg, cycling top, base layer, and brand new gear shifters are all scratched/holey/horrible looking (delete as applicable). But you learn from these experiences...

i would prefer to get over shoes, i dont feel happy spending £20 on what is essentially a pair of socks...
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    Strange....
    I have the MT90's too ( brilliant) and Sealskinz (several pairs), and very warm dry feet.

Sealskinz come in many different thickness's and even have a liner sock too. Got them as presents,for birthdays etc

Wouldn't leave on tour without them.

and they are worth the money.Well it was other peoples, I know, but they are very good.

george

Spas ...sorry to here about your "off", hope you are Ok..
  • I'd certainly recommend overshoes. I tried riding for about a week last winter without them and the second my feet got wet they got cold. Aslong a I wore my overshoes my feet remained dry, therefore warm.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have had Sealskinz gloves and socks, the gloves eventually failed after about three years, I sent them back to the factory and got a new pair a few days later, free of charge. So they are a great product. Only slight issue is whilst they keep your feet dry, if your shoes get really soaked it does feel a bit cold and squelchy, but they are a very good option for effectively waterproofing your favourite shoes, and they are easy to carry and put on should the weather change.

I have used Altura stretchy breathable overshoes, they were okay, but it is very easy to tear them when walking, and they still let in some water (not through the fabric, but working its way up through the cleat orrifice). Other problem is comments about being in a gimp suit (when worn with my bib-longs).

So from my experience, MT90 waterproof boots first choice, Sealskinz second, overshoes third.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I got given these for my birthday recently, and am delighted with them:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=9275

I went for Large, as am a size 10 shoe, and although it isn't easy to get them on, it certainly isn't difficult to hold you up, and as a result it fits snugly to the size of your foot, and doesn't feel ungainly.

Today was the first proper rain day, and they kepy my shoes clean dna dry, and my feey dry and warm - result!

They have a zip up the back, and a velcro fastening as well, I'll see how long these last, but for the money, how wrong can you go.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • spasypaddy
    dan those are the kind of things im talking about, its all very well keeping your feet dry but if you only have one pair of shoes then you have the problem of having to put on sticky wet shoes again (at the end of the day)! Hence why i want overshoes rather than socks!

cheers george, I'm fine but my pride has taken a battering!

To finish things off for the day i found out the source of the air release noise, it wasn't water being pushed out of the inner tube it was a fucking puncture! I'm so glad i discovered it in the middle of the day so my office could become a cycle workshop as well as a laundrette today!