Sugino Messenger or Stronglight 75 series chainset?

bianco
bianco Posts: 78
edited August 2007 in Road general
I'm after a 44t chainset.

I've spotted this Sugino Messenger 1/8 for £45 from HubJub.co.uk or this 75 series stronglight for £14.45 + del.

The main problem I see with the latter is you can't change the chain ring.

Stronglight Series 75

Sugino Messenger

Which would anybody recommend or caution.

Thanks, much appreciated

Comments

• jalapeno
    jalapeno Posts: 1,009
    i'd buy the sugino, it looks nicer and you can muck about with different rings. it's a better finished product too.

Painted Roads.. colourful cycling adventures
    http://www.paintedroads.com
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    Sugino, nice stuff. I'd definitely want a crankset where I could change chainrings... anyway, you'be a bit stuffed if you damaged or wore the ring out.

BTW, I'm currently using a 25 year old Sugino crankset (square taper) with a 110 BCD, who said 'compact' was a new idea... and it works as good as gold.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • GaryGkn
    GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
    Sugino - I have a 5 arm and will eventually stick it on something one day!
  • GaryGkn
    Hubjub are a really good resource with many hard to find parts they are also very helpful. Get the Sugino from Hubjub I bought the Stronglight from them and it has been excellent.
  • skewer
    skewer Posts: 57
    Hi,
    For another budget option someone from this forum pointed me towards this...

http://tinyurl.com/3xow7k

Just take off the bash guard, and the ring is interchangable. The quality looks OK, had mine for a week and seems good so far, nice bright polish on it. 42 rather than 44 teeth.

forgot to mention, it claims to be 170mm but is a 170 arm with the hole drilled at 165, like a lot of budget 165 cranks.

Regards
    Skewer
  • bianco
    It was me who pointed you in that direction!!

Thanks
  • skewer
    Oh sorry! Duh, what a goofball I am :oops: .
    Thanks for the tip, Ill try to post a photo before long because it really does look good. Although those suginos look pretty special.
    Regards
    Skewer
  • skewer
    There,
    The photos are at
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/skewer1/
    Skewer
  • bianco
    GaryGkn wrote:
    Hubjub are a really good resource with many hard to find parts they are also very helpful. Get the Sugino from Hubjub I bought the Stronglight from them and it has been excellent.

Which Stronglight did you get?

Everytime I hear Stronglight it reminds me of homestarrunner!
  • Sugino.
    I got the stronglight ones from biddle and they seemed pretty good, but the teeth are now a bit bent and it has thrown the chain off once.
    Bit of a shame, because I think they look quite good (mine looked slightly different to the photo)
    Can highly recommend Biddle though, good service. Limited range of stuff on the webiste, but email the guy and he will try and get just about anything.
  • GaryGkn
    I got the Stronglight ST1000 it was a good price and good product. If I had more money I may have gone for the Sugino 75 or the campagnolo Record but the ST1000 didn't brake the bank is plenty stiff and looks good. Check it out at Hubjub.
  • gralegav
    gralegav Posts: 94
    I've got a Sugino 75 setup from Hubjub - lovely stuff and looks great!