Touring Cyclist Killed Australia

quokka
quokka Posts: 34
edited August 2007 in Tour & expedition
I'm sorry to report that a German touring cyclist was killed this morning just north of Adelaide on Highway 1 after being struck by a truck. Don't know what else to say really - I just feel sick to be honest.

www.woj.com.au/2007/08/13/sa-cyclist-killed-in-crash/

Comments

• jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    I have sat here for a few quiet moments trying to put into words my feelings on reading the report.

I feel exactly the same as quokka.

Every time we go on tour we know , in the back of our minds, that it could happen to us too.

My thoughts go out to the family of the german cyclist.
    george
  • quokka
    quokka Posts: 34
    I drove on this section of road on saturday - one of a dozen trips this year. It's not the greatest road to ride on. 110kph limit and relatively busy by Australian country road standards. However, this poor guy had done the worst of it. He was hit south of Port Wakefield on the final 90 odd kms into Adelaide where the road becomes 2 lanes each way making it much easier to overtake. It was a fine, sunny day here today and he had bright yellow panniers, yet was hit from behind at 10am. To his family - I'm so, so sorry.
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    There are a couple of us on here that will be cycling there too,
    and those Semis really worry me

george
  • Sadly, I am not surprised.

Australia's roads are getting busier. And unlike Europe, where there are usually many different routes between towns, allowing a quiet choice, here in Oz there's usually only one. And that's a highway with a 110kph speed limit.

Your average Aussie driver isn't as skilled as their UK counterpart. Big cars, wide roads, weather usually good. They haven't had to pick up the skills that they have in Europe on narrow winding roads driving small, manouverable cars.

Also, many of these truckers are on lean wages, and have to drive long hours just to get a reasonable income.

On a recent tour of SW Australia I was shocked at how the traffic had increased since 6 years ago when I last rode those parts.

For those of you planning to come over and tour, do consider that, although the routes between cities may be quiet by comparison to English 'country roads', the traffic is still fast nonetheless and can be just as lethal

A real tragedy.
    BTP,

Perth, WA