Chamois/Saddle Creme

baudman
baudman Posts: 757
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Out of comments made from other threads - who uses chamois/saddle creme?

I do a quick commute on an old bike daily, and train every other weekend on my road bike. I'm doing around 60-100km when I train for my third go on an annual 210km ride - Melbourne's Around the Bay in a Day.

Anyway, I don't use saddle creme. I've never felt the need regarding chafing etc.

What about the rest of you?
Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike

Comments

• If I'm going to be riding more than 10 - 15 miles I'll slather a bit of Sudocrem around the important bits ... Better safe than sorry! :roll: .
    Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat... but the wind is mostly in your face!
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    In the UK use pure Lanolin, its good for rubbing into my Brooks saddle too.

On tours I use Sudocreme, prevention is better than the cure.

george
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Savlon or SudoCreme (it worked for Mini McBain - his bot is still peachy!) for me, always use it, last thing I want is a boil on the bollox :oops:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • jonesy124
    jonesy124 Posts: 205
    hehe - i could join in with this thread but it may just be embarrassing all round!
  • saif
    saif Posts: 100
    I will be tempted to try once and see what difference it makes .. nothing embarrassing in that ( Jonesy !). I do get a bit of a sore after my weekend rides , which seems to be going rather well with increase in my mileage .
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    I use the Assos stuff if it's going to be more than an hour or two, otherwise I won't bother.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Join in for God's sake Jonesy124, we're all men of the world here :wink:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Not normally, but I wish I'd used some yesterday. Towards the end of the 275 km ride I was convinced the insert was made of sandpaper. Coarse grade.
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    My rides are always 2 to 3 hours in the week, 5 hours+ at the weekend - wouldn't leave home without it! I only put it on the chamois...

Assos suggest putting a bit on straight after pulling it out of the washing machine - and then only every other wash.
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    A bit like Yorkshireman, I would use cream if doing more that 15m. this means that I use it mainly in summer as I go out for longer and the hotter weather results in more sweating. In winter I would only use it for my longest rides, unless I feel a bit of chafing flaring up.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I never had a problem until I used a hired bike on track!!
    Then it took me weeks to get rid of it!!
    Use sudocream regular some times caneston after ride
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    I treat my bum to the best: Assos for the fake chamois, and sun block on my bits to stop them going raw when they get all sweaty.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • never used it. and luckily never had any problems on rides up to 320 miles.
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    edited August 2007
    No. It is only meant for yer arse anyway, and that's not the bit of me that ever hurt on the saddle! I tried it once (assos) and it was like some kinda deep heat effect on very delicate parts... :shock: Gah! Never again! Solved the problem by getting some assos 'mille' shorts and one of these saddles: http://www.selleanatomica.com/
    Had no problems since, even on 400km and 600km rides.
  • arranandy
    arranandy Posts: 688
    I use Assos creme on longer (2 Hour +) rides otherwise I don't bother. Apply it directly to myself but never too much as it can feel 'squidgy'
    Flying Scot? You must be joking!
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I've never used it - never felt the need.

I used to commute 5-6 days a week, 7 miles each way, and only wore the one pair of shorts ( I only hand wash them and hate doing it) a week. Even on a long tour, doing around 100 miles a day for 3 months (fresh shorts every day), I never had a problem.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill