FAO: Mac users/geeks

Big Red S
Big Red S Posts: 26,890
edited August 2007 in The Crudcatcher
Right, i've just acquired a mac G4 running OSX 10.3. There's a few things I've got used to under X on *nix, and I'm wondering if they're doable on a mac?

1) Highlighting text with the mouse copies it to a clipboard. Paste with middle mouse button.

2) Multiple desktops

3) Not an X issue, but my End and Home keys seem to be thinking they're Page Up and Page Down keys. I've got a seemingly generic Macally ikey mac keyboard, though I will be replacing it with a standard mac one in due course. Is this likely to fix the mapping problem? Also, where do I tell it I want to use a UK keymap, not the US one that's on the keyboard?

4) Resources monitors in constant view somewhere. I usually have them in a taskbar at the bottom, but anywhere's good, so long as I can pretty much always see them.

5) Run command box on a taskbar?

Any guidance towards how to do these or a close approximation of them would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• Random Vince
    Random Vince Posts: 11,374
    multiple desktops, i'm not sure if thats doable,

i have two desktops due to running a seccond screen.

i think the keyboard mapping will sort itsel fit the mac board. the mac board doesnt have home and end

is the american keyboard layout the one with @ on the 2 key?
    i prefer it tbh so havent tried to change it
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • Big Red S
    i think the keyboard mapping will sort itsel fit the mac board. the mac board doesnt have home and end
    What, seriously? Is there anything analogous?
    is the american keyboard layout the one with @ on the 2 key?
    i prefer it tbh so havent tried to change it
    Yeah, amongst other things. The ` and | are in the wrong place, too.
  • Red Panda
    Red Panda Posts: 269
    Do Mac keyboards have the Euro € symbol?
  • Big Red S
    Yeah. Mine's <Alt>+<2>