New bike from old....

mikedobson100
mikedobson100 Posts: 8
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Hello everybody,

I'm looking for some advice. I have an entry level Edinburgh Bike Shop "Revolution" roadie that's served me well for the last three years. But, it's starting to look a bit jaded now and I would like to upgrade it. Now here's the rub, I don't have a lot of cash and was wondering if it's possible to do it a component at a time: start with a new frame, then later, as I can afford it, add on the wheels, bits and pieces.

Does this sound feasible to anyone or has anyone one it themselves?

If it's not a mad idea (or even if it is a mad idea but still doable) what would be a good, moderately priced frame to aspire to? I'm not a carbon wannabe or titanium must have but will take advice accordingly...

Cheers and thanks to anyone who helps.

Mike
never knowingly underfed

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    You can do this but it will ultimately end up costing you a lot more - you can't buy components at the low prices that bike manufacturers can. Just rough figures, but a decent frame, £300, mid range groupset £300, wheelset £150, other bits £150 - your up to £900, which would buy you a very good bike that would probably surpass that spec - alternatively, £500 gets you a lot on 2007 models at the moment.

I gather Kinesis frames are good - not got one though.
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    alfablue is right.
    Over the next few months a lot of last years bikes will be sold with some good discounts. £500 buys a lot of new toy, 9 or 10 spd as well.
    Thorn are marketing a frame-upgrade for those wanting to swap their existing kit onto something steel and a bit more comfortable. Another frame that appeals is the Salsa Casserole, a real jack of all trades. Both are circa £300.
    If everything else is in good order, why not get a Carbon Fork and some lightweight wheels and a and tyres, they'll put a new spring into an old bike.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1