Saddle help!!!

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Assuming your a chappie (the stanley bit gives it away) then you could try a saddle with a cutout, such as the specialized body geometry series. They come in different widths, and those that had a problem often dont have one after trying one of them. Find a decent LBS who should let you try before you buy, as a saddle is a very personal fit.

Comments

• Lots have. I have 3 of them, the avatar for winter bike which is a bit like a sofa, and the alias on my road bike. I tried the toupe gel for a while but it was a tad too narrow for me (they only do the 143mm bigger width, not the 155m as they do for the other two).

Having said that, I am using a sell Italia SLR T1 TT saddle (since im using it to TT on) and its comfortable enough to ride as a general saddle, if you can live with the chunky looks...
  • manick0de
    manick0de Posts: 202
    Another vote for the Specialized Avater. Get your self measure by your local specialized dealer.
  • All the gear - no idea
    edited August 2007
    On my previous flat-bar Marin commuter I got on fine with various Selle Italia models with the anatomical cut out. Since moving to a proper road bike and riding on the drops I've found that there has been more pressure on 'the little fella' due to riding position.

Recently, following the 102m Circuit of the Cotswolds Sportive I was numb down below for 2 weeks after riding a Selle Italia Throok Gel Flow with cut out. I swapped it our for a Fizik Aliante Gamma - well padded, no cut out but wider than the Throok. The most important thing I have done is adjust the saddle angle downwards slightly which means I sit on my sit bones more.

Give it a go, it might help. Otherwise try the Body Geometry Spec's mentioned above or see if your LBS will loan you a Fizik.
  • Hi Stanley

Before you go buying new saddles make sure the saddle set up is ok. Conventional wisdom suggests the saddle should be about horizontal, but a degee or two either way can make a big difference to comfort. I have an impressive collection of saddles that I thought would fix the numbness problem, to no avail.

AP
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Hi Stanley

Before you go buying new saddles make sure the saddle set up is ok. Conventional wisdom suggests the saddle should be about horizontal, but a degee or two either way can make a big difference to comfort. I have an impressive collection of saddles that I thought would fix the numbness problem, to no avail.

AP
    I'd go with this, positioning can have a big effect on comfort,not just saddle, but even bars. You need to be on your "sit-bones" not the softer perinium for example,too stretched-out and sitting on your bones becomes more difficult.

My choice on my TCR (see link in sig) is to use a brooks B17,a saddle that you either love or hate. I've loved mine for nearly 25 years.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    I've fitted a Spesh Alias 3 months ago (like SteveR the narrow Toupe worried me...and the cost!).

It's great now but they do need a bit of getting used to. You really need to commit to using the sit bones, which is as it should be. Occasionallyat the start I was feeling fidgety but would realise that I'd shifted to the muscle (OK fat) on my a^se.

But with a bit of patience I'm reaping the rewards in comfort now.
  • manick0de
    manick0de Posts: 202
    Just go to your local Specialized dealer. There may be an Edinburgh Bike Co-Op near you? If not, lots of local bike shops may be Specialized dealers or just stock the "bumometer",
    You sit on this piece of 1x2ft cardboard with foam on it. After about 30 secs and then measure the sitbones imprint.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Make sure what you have is positioned correctly.

If that doesn't solve it then get Specialized BG series saddle
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    I agree with all of the comments re: saddle positioning. Just micro-adjustments can make all of the difference - especially fore and aft.

It made a big difference with my saddle (Salle d'Italia) but it was still only good for around 2 hours before I'd get some numbness. I now have a Fi'zi:k Arione, which has so far been great for 4+ hrs.

Oh... and the usual stuff of getting out of the saddle at least once every 15 minutes - it's easy to get in the zone and forget that, especially if there's no traffic lights.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike