Giant FCR Alliance/Marin Mill Valley/Trek 7.7 or Kona PHD

mattsv
mattsv Posts: 24
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Hi all

First post so a quick intro - been riding since early 80s, started on a Raleigh Pulsar, doing around 120 miles per week riding to school everyday.

First job then enabled me to build up a 531c with 105/600/mavic/campag bits which I commuted on everyday - currently hanging unused in the garage .

Having been riding a Scott Competition XC mountain bike for the last 8 years - I have been commuting on it with semi-slick 26" however keep spinning out on the downhill sections so now looking for something more road orientated for commuting and weekend rides that will be lighter and quicker.

What ever I get will be via the Halfords Cycle to Work scheme, so unfortunately I can only go up to a maximum of £1000 - that will end up costing me £14.09 a month over 3 years, after all the discounts I get.

I now have a shortlist of the following:-

Giant FCR Alliance
Marin Mill Valley
Trek 7.7
Kona PHD

Does anyone have any experience of any of these?

Is there anything else within that price bracket that I should be looking at?

Many thanks

Matt

Comments

• mattsv
    36 views and no replies - I'll take it that no one else has got any of these bikes, or anything similar :roll:
  • driverpm
    driverpm Posts: 65
    Have ridden an old Marin Muirwoods on slick tyres for about 7 years now and it has been bomb proof, 20K+ miles and all neede are 2 sets tyres, one change of cassette and front rings + 1 new set cables. Average about 20mph on a 10 mile country commute so now want to go further / faster
    Have tried (20 min test ride) the Mill Valley while Iwas looking to upgrade - I loved it - in act I loved the speedy feeling so much i have tested and have now opted for a drop-barred road bike instead. However if hadn't changed my bike type i would have gone for the Marin.
    Is it under specc'd for the price?
    Some might say so but it's all about how it rides/fits/feels. If they are all as you want then it's worth it.
    Nice choice to be making though :)
    Phil
    Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable
  • neillcp
    neillcp Posts: 30
    Hi,

My workplace has the cyle to work scheme open at the moment through Halfords too - and I am considering the same bikes.

I think the out-front winner at the moment is the Kona PHD - the spec is great - much better than the competition who use own brand bits and pieces to bring the costs down - Kona don't seem to have done this. The only thing that concerns me is the bright blue colour being a thief magnet - although I won't be taking it anywhere its likely to be stolen. Although I see that the 08 model coming along v.soon is almost identical to the 07 and has a white frame.

Went out for a test ride on the Giant FCR 1 too- was a nice bike and fitted me well, but am concerned about the fancy spoking pattern on the wheels not being up to the job of commuting - I'm not a small lad and have problems with spokes popping out when I hit the odd pothole.

Haven't considered the others really, but have looked at the Specialized Sirrus Pro - nice bike, and really for me now its between the Kona and the Specialized.
  • mattsv
    Thanks for your replies.

I checked with my HR guys yesterday, and if I wait until October, my £1000 voucher will only actually cost me about £500 interest free over 3 years - £14 per month over 3 years for a £1k bike! If I order it now, it will cost me something like £20 per month so it is worth holding out a little bit longer.

The problem I am finding at the moment is that the 08 bikes are about to come out, however trying to find out what the specs are seems almost impossible. I need to make a decision by end of September to get the bike in October, however only Giant appear to have confirmed their 08 range at the moment- there is no change to the FCR Alliance.

The Kona was my initial choice - I am not overly concerned about it getting nicked as at work it will be kept in a private underground secure car park with CCTV - at home, the garage has four locks and a very noisy door!

I think part of the problem is that none of the bikes on my list are at all bad, it is just trying to find the best one for me. I keep looking at websites, and trying to find reviews - the problem for me is that none of the LBS near me keep any of these in stock, so trying to get a test ride seems to be impossible.

The final choice might come down to who has confirmed their 08 models, and what the revisions (if any) are.