sore lower back

Felix-da-house-mouse
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
i was out the other nite and done 30 miles and when i came home i had a really sor lower back (the 4 or so inches) above me bum!! what causes this?
felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Position and over reaching?

It could be a flare up of an old problem
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Do you stretch after cycling? Tightness (I think esp of the hip flexor, which is used much in cycling) can result in lower back pain.

Poor core strength may also be a cause - do you do stuff to strengthen your mid-section. Pilates is a good one for that.

hope it gets better soon. I'm just recovering from a lower back problem - mine was sacroiliac joint and has been put right by osteopath, pilates and a really good stretching routine designed with cyclists in mind.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    It's also something your body will get used to if you haven't been on a bike for that long in a while !

Can you let us know how long you normally ride for, or has this just flared up and you do 30 miles regular ?

When I got back in the saddle regularly from last December, I'd get back pain after an hour on the bike - now I don't get it at all and can do in excess of 3 hours easily - no changes to the bike or equipment.
  • well, i think it might be an old injury i got playing football and some 6ft 6 ginger tw*t lifted me up above his head and dropped meon a wooden floor, it was nice. lol. w**ker. welliwas out the other night and really pushed for 25 miles and thats when it flared up. is the hip flexor basically just your hips? i had pain there whilst cycling but i think it was just because i was pushing.
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Get a gorgeous lass to give you a massage after each ride, you'll soon learn to live with the pain

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!