muscles and older age

Felix-da-house-mouse
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
hi,i'm a 26 yr old guy and i was wondering why some guys of 40's etc can do 10miles in under 30mins? when i'd probably struggle, is it cause my muscles arent developed yet or what?
felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!

Comments

• jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    I'm 58
    10 mile TT 24m 19s
    practice

george
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    I think it's more to do with how well you're trained. Remember, some guys in their 40s have been riding for 25 years or more! I know a few who can do 10 miles in closer to 20 minutes than 30...

I found that I got better into my 30s, with no drastic changes to my training program - I guess I don't know whether this was due to age or the accumulation of training over the years. I started when I was 17 but I had had my best and most consistent results when I was 34-35 and working (very much) full time. They were even better than the couple of seasons I did as a full time rider when I was 27-28.

How long have you been riding for and what sort of mileage do you do regularly?
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • 69 year olds in the club i'm in are doing 22 minute 10's. they don't know when yo stop!
  • Dodgex1
    Dodgex1 Posts: 1,306
    26?! You've finished growing mate your not going to get any bigger, Muscles develop from use. It's all about training 10 miles in 30 minutes is only 20mph average as already mentioned some older blokes will have been riding as long as you've been alive!
    "This is ******!, We can't ride out bikes in the dirt like this!"
  • There's plenty of 70+ yr olds who can easily get under a 24 for a 10, hours for a 25, 2 for a 50 and 4-30 for a 100. There will be a couple of them ahead of me on Sunday again :? and I'm "only" 41
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    hi,i'm a 26 yr old guy and i was wondering why some guys of 40's etc can do 10miles in under 30mins? when i'd probably struggle, is it cause my muscles arent developed yet or what?
    It depends how much training and how much mileage you do, also your diet.
    I returned to cycling after 23 years off bike, I am now 46.
    I started in November and by January and February was doing 80 to 100 mile club runs.
    By MArch I then noticed the muscle definition in my legs change to "cyclist2 muscles instead of a squash players :D
    Some people are fortynate to have natural talent and ability so with training do such fast times, other unfortunately do not have natural physical ability and will never get such fast times though will improve.
    We are all slightly different just enjoy what your doing and improve yourself and don't worry about fit looking oldies :D
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    The last time I did a 10-Mile TT, the winner in the 50s age class took 20 mins 51 secs. It wasn’t me!

My PB is one second faster than jibi’s (see above), which I’m quite happy with since I'm an exception in a keen field in that I have no disc wheels or aerobars or aero helmet or skin suit or ....
    Also I'm the same slight build as Benoit Salmon and Damiano Cunego, neither of whom are TT-types with their 60 kg weight and 1.70 m height. Like Cunego, I prefer the hills.

I don’t understand how Leipheimer does so well in TTs when he is also about this height and weight.
  • As has been said, you gotta practice Felix. The main muscle that you need to develop is the heart. But your body will make innumerable adaptations as you train.

A good way to train to improve your speed in a 10-mile TT is interval training (look it up :)). It's painful as hell and that's why it's so good for your cardiovascular system.

The other thing you can do, especially for a 10-mile TT where speeds are going to be fairly high, is improve your aerodynamics. Start with aerobars on your road bike and fine-tune your position. After a year of hard training it might be time to reward yourself with a dedicated TT bike if you find suffering like a dog appealing. But only if you've beaten 26 minutes by then. :wink:

You're 26, no excuses, get out there and suffer!
  • As has been said, you gotta practice Felix. The main muscle that you need to develop is the heart. But your body will make innumerable adaptations as you train.

A good way to train to improve your speed in a 10-mile TT is interval training (look it up :)). It's painful as hell and that's why it's so good for your cardiovascular system.

The other thing you can do, especially for a 10-mile TT where speeds are going to be fairly high, is improve your aerodynamics. Start with aerobars on your road bike and fine-tune your position. After a year of hard training it might be time to reward yourself with a dedicated TT bike if you find suffering like a dog appealing. But only if you've beaten 26 minutes by then. :wink:

You're 26, no excuses, get out there and suffer!

The attraction of testing is that it it gives you selective memory loss, thereby ensuring continued particpation in the sport... :D
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155

No, you're just not suffering enough :D
    I'm no speedster, but I find that every week that I turn-up for club training nights and work myself as hard as I am able, the faster I seem to go.
    Join a club, get good training miles, learn to like pain.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Alternatively, do like the pro's do and dope yourself silly :P

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    Join a local club and go out on some club runs. If you can't do a 30 min 10 the you will probably get dropped. The key is don't give up keep going back untill you don't get dropped then you will probably managed a sub 30 min 10.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I'm 36 and have never raced or time trialled but I can manage 10 miles in 31 minutes on my commute home with 28mm tyres, mudguards, rack, panier, baggy shorts and drops but not aero bars. I don't think you are trying hard enough.
  • jonesy124
    jonesy124 Posts: 205
    jibi wrote:
    I'm 58
    10 mile TT 24m 19s
    practice

george

yeah but can you dance to disco inferno until 6am??? thats the test of a real man.
  • beckenham
    beckenham Posts: 242
    "Disco inferno" I reckon you're showing you age Jonesy :wink:
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements