Tubs help..

Pete Beer
Pete Beer Posts: 604
edited August 2007 in Road general
My very old Wolber tub has just blown. I'm new to tubulars and wondered whether to glue or tape the new one onto the rim. The bike is only used on the road. I guess all of the existing glue will need to be removed, what's and the best method?
Still I'm conviced it's worth percivering.
Cheers

Comments

• The first question to ask is: Why to you want to stick with tubs?

If it's for the historical accuracy of your bike then fair enough, no arguments there.

If, however, it's for some perceived benifit then don't bother. In the old days a tub could take much higher pressures than a clincher, but modern clinchers and rims can take pretty silly pressures. Tubs and sprints are lighter than the equivalent clincher setup, but the weight saving is pretty small when weighed (ahem!) against the disadvantages. Of course the biggest disadvantage is what happens in the case of a puncture. It's fine if you have a support car to swap your wheel, not so great when you're 40 miles from home on your own.

If you are going to stick with tubs then I'd go for tape every time. Not historically correct for an old bike, but much more convenient.
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    Despite wot the feathered one says, the very best tubs (Dugast or Veloflex Record) are still miles ahead of clinchers. But these are hideously expensive - I think I will throw up if/when my Dugasts p*nct*re.

I use Conti tubs on my Corima TT wheels, with tape, as it is less hassle. The advice I was given when I set them up from the older hands was that glue was only really needed for use on the track due to the higher lateral forces whilst banking, or on long descents when the rim can heat up with braking.
  • Pete Beer
    Thanks for the replies.
    The tubs are superior on my Argos track bike to the benefit of one tooth on the rear. I use a 71" with the clinchers and 75" with tubs. They came with tubs and I used them until I bought some clincher wheels so I've used both sets back to back covering the same ground. I was no great fan of tubs, but they are better on my bike.
    Tape it is. I've heard removing old tape is difficult, how do you remove the tape? I've also heard if I puncture I can put a new tub on the existing tape and ride carefully to get home, has anyone actually tried this.
    Last question what is the easiest way to remove the old glue?
    Thanks
  • jbindman
    jbindman Posts: 1,328
    this came up recently and the advice was petrol or perhaps other solvents like acetone or white spirit. but i was reusing a tub rim for the first time in 20+ years and the glue was solid- it chipped off with a screwdriver! then i lightly sanded the rim & reglued an £8 tub from wiggle. seems to work but it was for a project to restore a bike for under a tenner, its my 5th bike so I am not using it for anything much....
    fgg 1666
  • Pete Beer
    I ended up with a screw driver and autosol on the old glue.
    But the question is how is tape removed
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends what type of tape it is - the old cloth-backed tapes tend to disintegrate if you try and pull them off, so you end up have to pick it off piece by piece. Using an old screwdriver or scraper often helps to remove the bulk of the old tape/glue and then resort to solvents to remove that last remnants. Obviously, don't use solvents fo a carbon rim. A plastic-backed tape like Tufo's is far easier to remove for future reference.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • There are solvents to remove almost any glue, the problem being identifying the glue in the first place. If you don't know what sort of glue was used you're pretty much consigned to trial and error.

As mentioned though don't use any solvent that will attack your rims.
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    errr, Pete. You say Argos track bike, but you're surely not using it on the track... not with 71 and 75 inch gears???????
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • Pete Beer
    no it's on the road. It's even got a front brake. It's hilly here.
  • Pete Beer
    Right. I've got the tape and new tubs. The rims are spotless, ready to fit the tubs.
    I've heard stick tape on rim, leaving the top layer of stuff on. Place tub on rim, slightly inflated (anyone know what sort of pressure?). Starting by the valve, lift about 4" of tape cover, push tub down, do the same all the way round. Spin wheel to check it's on squarely, check rim to tyre to see that's even. Inflate to 80 psi, spin, if happy pump to 180.
    Have I missed anything obvious?
  • boly
    boly Posts: 71
    I had the same advice and tried it that way but the "peel" off coating of the tape kept ripping ( Jentex ) no matter how careful I was. I ended up peeling it all off and rolling the tub on just inflated enough to hold shape - Hope this helps