Giant scr

owenfackrell
owenfackrell Posts: 3
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
What is the opinion on the Giant scr range?
I am looking for a road bike that can take full length mudguards as i want to use it to get to work.
I know that giant MTB are good and i have found the scr ltd reduced from £650 to £445.
the specs can be found here

Comments

• jonesy124
    jonesy124 Posts: 205
    buy it.

Thats a bargain at 445! And i do like the colour of the Ltd SCR.

If you want to buy it on finance you can get it from wiggle for 450 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5360031313

The scr range are good value for money as far as entry level bikes go.
  • Great value and well thought of bikes.
    But, even though the chain stays are lengthened relative to a "race" bike and it has all the eylets for guards they are still a tight fit. (Same with the Trek pilot and 1000)
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    yep, i have the scr 1 w which i got for £650 (would have been £550 if i could have got away with a smaller frame :evil: ) and i love it

This one http://www.cpcycles.com/products.php?plid=m10b0s172p991

The other half has the OCR 2 which he's had for about 2 years or so and has been really good for him, been doing 5 or so triathlons a year on it with no complaints and is only now looking at upgrading to a new bling carbon bike (tho i suspect that that's more to do with me now having a better bike than him :lol:
  • sbullett
    sbullett Posts: 139
    windless wrote:
    Great value and well thought of bikes.
    But, even though the chain stays are lengthened relative to a "race" bike and it has all the eylets for guards they are still a tight fit. (Same with the Trek pilot and 1000)

Got a set of full guards fitted to my SCR2 by the LBS, no problem, even with 700-25 tyres....

Great bike by the way, it's rekindled my love of road bikes after 25 years plodding on a MTB - go for it :lol:
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I've been looking at these and concluded they are very good value.

One question: I'm 5ft 3in so looking at 42 or 46cm. I've read that top tube length is as important as seat height. Does anyone have any recommendations or link to a website explaining this or giving some guidelines?

Thanks,

Simon.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • sherlock65
    sherlock65 Posts: 373
    Hi Simon

I have an SCR 2 in the small size, which I think is 46.5 cm.
    It's probably worth getting a bike fit session, as you will then know the relevant measurements to look for in terms of seat tube, top tube and stem length.

SCRs are nice - before some light-fingered scrote took a fancy to it I had an SCR 1 before, 105 instead of Tiagra. Both very nice bikes indeed for all-round riding.

Steve
    The dog did nothing in the night-time; that was the curious incident...
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Steve,

Thanks for the info, I'll probably end up driving to the shop where they're advertised, it's only an hour or so from me.

Have you felt there to be much difference between the Tiagra- and 105-equipped models? The SCR 1 seems quite a bit more expensive.

Ta,

Simon.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Just out of interest, how big a difference do better bikes make compared to basic entry level bikes?

I have an OCR4 with spd pedals etc. and it does me fine. Are we talking a few percent increase or is it more?