fixed and screw on hub?

comsense
comsense Posts: 245
edited August 2007 in Road general
Can you put a fixed sprocket onto a screw on hub or do you need a specific fixed hub?
thanks

Comments

• Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    You need a specific hub.

On a fixie hub, the bit that sticks out with the threads on it is stepped. The bigger bit, nearer the hub body, is for the fixie cog, and is much the same size as that for a screw-on freewheel. The smaller bit is for the lockring that holds the fixie cog on (which means you can slow down with the pedals without undoing the cog), and this is a reverse thread.
  • SilverSurfer
    SilverSurfer Posts: 1,931
    Rubbish - you can use a normal hub. Once the cog is torqued down you won't be strong enough to unscrew it.
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    Funny, that's exactly how I get my cogs off when they want replacing - ride without the lockring, and brake for a bit.
  • Rubbish - you can use a normal hub. Once the cog is torqued down you won't be strong enough to unscrew it.

Nonsense. I've tried it with loctite and even then it came loose every few days.
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    Rubbish the third.

Screw a good Dura Ace cog on, add an old BB lockring and away you go. Don't be a prat and try to skid stop, use a brake. They call 'em 'suicide hubs' for a reason, so learn the mechanics and limitations of what you've got.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • Rubbish - you can use a normal hub. Once the cog is torqued down you won't be strong enough to unscrew it.

Nonsense. I've tried it with loctite and even then it came loose every few days.
    http://204.73.203.34/fisso/eng/schpignone.htm

Rode a hilly 210 mile (that's less than a billion kilometres, if you use those sorts of things) on one done up like that just last week. Of course, I've only been riding like that for a couple of years, it could come loose any second now.