front brake for track/road fixed

hangsheadinshame
hangsheadinshame Posts: 299
edited August 2007 in Road general
Hi,
I have a track bike that I have fitted a drilled front fork to. What do peeps use for a front brake and brake lever?

I don't want to have to faf taking of break hoods and all that when it is time to go to the track. I have seen some fixed gear bikes set up with what look like little mountain bike levers so that all it would take is two secondswith an alun key to be track legal. Any recommendations? I'm running Planet-X OS superlight bars if that makes a difference (they are fat at the top)

Cheers

Comments

• Cyclocross inline levers are the ones you're thinking of.

Personally I don't like them as I ride on the drops all the time so getting to the brakes in an emergency takes too long. As a solution to this I used to run a reverse action bar end time trial/triathon type lever on my Langster.

A friend of mine who uses his road fixer to train on the track has a better solution, a traditional lever on the right and a dummy on the left on one set of bars and another set of bars without levers. This allows him to run deeper drops on the track than he does on the road. Two allen bolts to unclamp the bars from the stem, one to remove the caliper and then two to clamp in the other bars. Under five minutes work.
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker
  • Hey that is great. Three perfectly good solutions. I like the tt lever in the end of the drops approach. Never even thought of it before.

Thanks again
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    one of these?

523259931_7dda1e2750.jpg

combined with 105, all the stopping power you could need.
  • yeah! like that. Diatech Gold Finger is it?
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    that's the beast.

awesome.

great for riding on the bars, you can cover it really comfortably with your hands. stupidly easy to take off.
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    I have two entirely separate heads: a brakeless Pista bar and a moustache bar with brakes. Undo the stem bolt and the brake bolt and the whole assembly comes off. Piece of cake.
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • I quite like that one as I can have three bar set ups. Road, track and TT
  • One more question...those "inline" cross levers that you can get: do you have to run them in series with another brake lever or can they be the sole lever ? I like the look of the tektro cross lever as a sole lever for road set up.

Cheers

Russell
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Although designed for in-line use, secondary levers work fine on their own with an MTB/barrel cable end - a normal road cable just pulls through unless you can find some sort of nipple/seat
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • here's my anchor! 5zlvguq.jpg[/img]
  • Show off!! Seriously beautiful brake but awful, awful, awful pedals. Are you scared of something?
  • Pretty it might be, but not as effective as even a cheap dual pivot.
  • those pedals are 10 year old Shimano "KerbKrunchers" they come in handy for dispensing justice to car drivers who park right in front of my bike bin! I found that my Mk 5 delta was effective enough in stopping me on a 45 mph descent in the wet on the Joux- Plane!
  • I never said they didn't work, but the fact remains that dual pivots are more effective.
  • timbooth
    timbooth Posts: 160
    I never said they didn't work, but the fact remains that dual pivots are more effective.

A stick in the spokes is more effective too, but it doesn't look as nice either!! :wink:
  • TimBooth wrote:
    I never said they didn't work, but the fact remains that dual pivots are more effective.

A stick in the spokes is more effective too, but it doesn't look as nice either!! :wink:

A good point well made.