Kid's Specific Helmets

Matt ID
Matt ID Posts: 48
There are several companies that now have kid's specific helmets in their ranges. TSG being one of them. Please make sure that you get your kids used to wearing a helmet whenever they ride.
And (this is a major bugbear of mine!) please make sure that you adults get one as well - the amount of families that I see out on a bike ride where the kid's are wearing helmets but the adults aren't!!!! This is plain stupid! How cool will you look to your kids if you come off and hurt your head?

Comments

• jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    :?
    Are you asking / discussing this .......... or just telling us what to do?
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • Matt ID
    Matt ID Posts: 48
    Just getting some info out there...and having a bit of a rant as well hoping that someone else may feel the same way or have a different opinion. If it nudges someone to buy a helmet then that's great!
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    fair enough.
    I have one for my daughter when she sits on the child seat on mine. I also wear my helmet when she's on the back to "set an example".....
    However, I don't wear my helmet if I'm out all the time. Usually if its cold or dark, or I'm on the MTB I will, but not when I commute or tour.

I figure from experience (in health care and as a father of 4) that kids fall off bikes & hit there heads with monotonous regularity. So it makes sense to ride with a helmet, and encourage them to do so. But I'm not convinced (as many others aren't) about the strickt need for every adult in every situation on a cycle to have a helmet stuck on their head.
    I believe it should remain to be the choice of the individual.....particuarly in a time when were trying to encourage more people to cycle...
    I think helmets are a good thing, I just don't think they are the magical saviour of protection as many have them made out to be.
    :D
    Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • I find that when kids fall off their bike and bang their head it's usually the chin that hits the floor. Normal helmets won't help in this situation.

I wear a helmet when riding fast off-road but I'm afraid I never do on the road. Can't stand the things - sweaty, constricting, yuck .... And at a reasonable road speed helmets don't make any real difference anyway (at family ride speeds I'd have to try really, really hard to fall off!).

Much prefer a cap.

Besides, it's my decision. The kids can make their own when they are older.

Stay cool.

Andy
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Now that she's getting a little older, we're taking our 18mth old out in the bike trailer. It is law here in Australia that they have to wear a helmet in a trailer.

We got her a Netti Pilot. When we used to take her out, she hated the helmet. But after the winter break and we're taking her for rides again, she'll literally reach for her helmet and put it on her head.

The only reason I think she's doing this is because she sees me put one on every morning.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike