Ribble Dedacciai Carbon/Ultegra 10 spd

coopsm
coopsm Posts: 5
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Hi ,

I am new to the world of road bikes and would welcome any advice on the Ribble Dedacciai Carbon. Are there any reviews of this bike that anyone can point me in the direction of ?

I am looking to spend around £1k and the more I research the more I am getting confused !
Any other recommendations ? - I don't want to be pounding the streets on my mountain bike for much longer !

Thanks

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    There's a thread on this already on this website 'Ribble vs Condor' or something under 'Road'. Well worth a look, the Ribble comes out very well. It's certainly excellent value. Generally Ribble are good - especially if you can visit the shop (in Preston) and get measured up.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Looked at one this afternoon. Would not hand over £550 for the frame with my own money. Looked a little frail in key areas and the frame had many points of stress concentration where you do not want it. For this money I'd lump for a Cinelli Unica or hunt around for a 2007 £1400 bike discounted down.

If it seems too good to be true it usually is.

1 year frame warranty on a carbon frame is very scary.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Yes the one year warranty put me off in the end - I've decided to stick with alu for my next bike anyway. I don't work for www.wiggle.co.uk but the focus cayo (carbon) still looks a good bet. They do some nice alu frames too - I'll probably go for one of those myself.

I'd go for the Shimano 105 groupset (triple or compact) or possibly Ultegra if you want to spend more.

Wheelbase are doing a carbon Trek 5000 with some Ultegra bits on for a grand at the moment. It's this years model and is reduced by £300 - all sizes available. Good value & a reliable make - a good safe bet. I should be in sales!

I'd still consider Ribble - the bike looked fine to me.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Looked at one this afternoon. Would not hand over £550 for the frame with my own money. Looked a little frail in key areas and the frame had many points of stress concentration where you do not want it. For this money I'd lump for a Cinelli Unica or hunt around for a 2007 £1400 bike discounted down.

If it seems too good to be true it usually is.

1 year frame warranty on a carbon frame is very scary.

What an absolute load of shite, the frame is made by dedacciai and is being sold for 7/800 pounds by some shops, i very much doubt dedacciai who have been working with carbon fibre for years and years are going to release a relatively expensive frame that is frail possibly jeopardising their reputation in the cycle trade!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've seen the frame too and think it represents excellent value for money - as said it's made by Dedaccia so should be at least has a better reputation than the Taiwanese built Focus or many of the other re-badged carbon frames out there. As the other thread mentions, the same frame appears on bikes priced over £2k. Some people just need to get over the 'Ribble' perception and badge snobbery - their history of customer service can be a bit iffy, but you can't beat them for value.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..