How do you become a 'pro tour' team?

heavymental
heavymental Posts: 2,076
edited August 2007 in Pro race
How does a team qualify to ride in Pro Tours? I was just reading about Slipstream having to rely on Wildcard entries and it made me wonder, with all those big names in the team how come they won't be riding the big ones?

Comments

• drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    You need to apply for a ProTour license when one frees up, so when a ProTour team is at the end of their license or is folding, as for Phonak last year. The license is for four seasons, and you must have a pretty bombproof engagement from your sponsors for the total duration of the license. The financial aspect looks like the most important in the decision and must be certified by a bank.

oh yeah... a few good riders could be an asset. It really has little to do with the old promotion/relegation on merit and results system.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Ahh ok, its all clear now. Thanks!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    drenkrom wrote:
    and you must have a pretty bombproof engagement from your sponsors for the total duration of the license

I thought this but T-Mobile could be quitting. Discovery are going at the end of the year. And several other sponsors are going at the end of 2008, eg Credit Agricole, despite having a licence until 2010 etc...

For the licence, it's about bank guarantees, minimum wages and other administrative guarantees to create stability.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,130
    The Pro Tour will be dead by the start of next season. Discuss.
  • drenkrom
    I don't know how that plays out legally, but I imagine the sponsors do have a way out. Those three teams were pretty stable and I don't think anyone seriously thought those sponsors would pull out when the license were granted. if anyone knows more about the legal ins and outs, I'd love to learn how that part works.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:

Please don't say that. I'm not sure how I'll cope without the Tour of Poland, Eindhoven TTT and Eneco Tour.

I hope it goes away. Its a pox on cycling.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,130
    I wouldn't be too worried by the UCI's legal department if I were a sponsor as they don't exactly have a track record of excellence.

I think Slipstream will get invites to most of the major races and may, in fact, be turning some of them down. I've an inkling that entries to ASO races next year will have strict ethical criteria and Slipstream will be actively welcomed because they'll meet them.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I thought the licence was awarded to a DS/team owner/franchise who then sourced the sponsor independently, hence sponsors could change but the team management remained intact to give stability. I wouldn't bet my mortgage on me being correct though!!! :o
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Yes, that's true that often a company owned by the DS holds the licence. Eg "Tailwind" holds the Pro Tour licence for four years, not Discovery. But if Discovery pulls out and there's no replacement sponsor, surely the team vanishes?
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Please don't say that. I'm not sure how I'll cope without the Tour of Poland, Eindhoven TTT and Eneco Tour.

I hope it goes away. Its a pox on cycling.

Yebbut - how will I play PTP if there's no PT ???
  • drenkrom
    I guess you'll be playing P. :wink: